Little sweet heart

Guest Magwitch

it was me not you that is putting the pet and workers distinction into it, by saying pet owners are more likely to go for colours, than those of us that ferret and therefore just want a good worker,

I think you are missing out another category of ferret owner, Stubby, the serious show owner. Those who take loads of ferrets to loads of shows in the hope of coming back with lots of pots. Then if their ferret wins they claim that their offspring come from some sort of fancy champ and charge fancy prices :laugh: IMO a lot of the demand for fancy colours is created by the show circuit. Just like Crufts popularises different breeds of dog and leads to breeding for extreme and often unhealthy traits

:clapper: oh, Im not missing them at all, they most probably have there own forums to have mass debates in

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was me not you that is putting the pet and workers distinction into it, by saying pet owners are more likely to go for colours, than those of us that ferret and therefore just want a good worker,

I think you are missing out another category of ferret owner, Stubby, the serious show owner. Those who take loads of ferrets to loads of shows in the hope of coming back with lots of pots. Then if their ferret wins they claim that their offspring come from some sort of fancy champ and charge fancy prices :laugh: IMO a lot of the demand for fancy colours is created by the show circuit. Just like Crufts popularises different breeds of dog and leads to breeding for extreme and often unhealthy traits

100% spot on, :thumbs:

so lets see, this post was started, not concerning "silvers", but having a joke about one of magwitch's jill's turning a little nippy, it seemed, only on my post saying that they were silvers, did you leave your first post, which prompted other breeders/keepers with silvers to ask the question "why the remark had been made", so therefore starting the big silver debate

It would have been impossible to start the 'Great Silver debate before it was made clear that the breeding involved silvers :laugh:

And I totally agree. Always did. Never suggested otherwise

as you probably know, some dogs and cats come with a pedigree, I have never seen one for ferrets, some keepers may keep records, but I bet its not many, therefore in saying that the gene can skip a few generations and come and bite you on the bum, is like saying, dont ever breed any ferret irespective of colour or markings, because somewhere down the line it could have silver in their gene's and untill you pair/breed and two recessives come together, you would'ent know

Not what I was saying as well you know. I was merely giving strategies for reducing the risk. I agreed with anoither poster that not breeding from a line that had produced silvers in the last few generations was sensible. Again you try to put words in my mouth that weren't there :laugh:

and if you did'nt give one iota, why post the first comment in the first place

I don't care one iota whether you believe what I'm saying, because in the overall scheme of things it makes little difference what one person does. But if what I've put makes someone think twice then it's been worth it. I ain't losing sleep though.

Edited by droid