GUILT

Guest timeout

Guest timeout

Well i was asked by the guy i have my permission of if i could rid him of some rabbits that are making a real mess.So i set some snares down and went home.Arriving this morning i had 3 in the snares.Now the thing is i have been involved in hunting for a number of years now and i am not a soft hearted person in general,but this mornin i was cleaning the bunnies to give to my ferts and the 1st one was fulll of young.No matter how hard i try i still get a pang of guilt.Well i had to get that of my chest lol

Well i was asked by the guy i have my permission of if i could rid him of some rabbits that are making a real mess.So i set some snares down and went home.Arriving this morning i had 3 in the snares.Now the thing is i have been involved in hunting for a number of years now and i am not a soft hearted person in general,but this mornin i was cleaning the bunnies to give to my ferts and the 1st one was fulll of young.No matter how hard i try i still get a pang of guilt.Well i had to get that of my chest lol

As a full time pest controller i come across this problem on a daily basis and it is something you have to come to terms with. Most, if not all, of the young you describe would not have reached aldulthood anyway......natural predation would take care of that. So think of it as removing 8 rabbits instead of three and it wont seem quite as bad.

Rolfe.

Guest timeout

Cheers Rolfe appreciated,i was like "OH NO NOT YOUNG"! To be perfectly honest i never even fed the young to my ferts just disposed of them in the bin.The rabbit went to the ferts tho they didnt seem to mind.Its one of them things we do it but take no pleasure in doing so.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

They're making themselves a pest. You'd be called to kill them at some point. Just accept that you had to make their appointment a bit earlier.

At what magical, chronological time does it become ok to take an animals life? Should ye let them be born and nail them in the stop? Should ye leave them to outgrow the 'cute, baby bunny look'? Are 'Young' rabbits ok? No one minds a 'nice' 3/4 grown .....

If ye get them in the very womb, surely that's the best of all? They've never even developed bunny conciousness.

I actually take no pleasure in finding I've poisoned or trapped a female rat, huge with unborn young. But I still see that as an advantage to my work. Again; I'd have to kill them sooner or later. Might as well get on and get the job done.

Well said DS some very good points put forward there!

And when you speak to the landowner you can say with all honesty:

"That's 5, 7, 9, 11, 15 etc etc that you won't have to worry about next year"

I'm not full time pest control, but that is the main reason we get permission on farms: to get rid of pests. that said, it is good to remember that rabbit is number one food for so many other animals: stoats, foxes, badgers, crows, birds of prey, humans, owls, mink, can't think of any more at the moment.

My point being that all those animals and birds that kill and eat rabbits will be a) depriving new born young of their mothers, hence life B) will not be concerned about eating tiny fluffy bunny-wunnies on their first day out of the nest, and c) be always on the look out for the easiest possible meal: e.g. heavily pregnant does, very young etc.

The rabbit is everyone's food, and that's how I cope with killing them at this time of year: if I wasn't doing it then something or someone else would!

I am sure I read somewhere (possibly on here) about an elderly couple who had lived their whole lives off the land who used to deep fry the little ones - a bit like scampi.

Not my taste but it shows just how much things have changed in 50 or 60 years.

I am sure I read somewhere (possibly on here) about an elderly couple who had lived their whole lives off the land who used to deep fry the little ones - a bit like scampi.

Not my taste but it shows just how much things have changed in 50 or 60 years.

What! Squidgers......... Fresh out of the WOMB!!!

Thats not 50-60 years ago mate!! Thats fecking STONEAGE!!! :sick:

All the best, Dogs n Natives