what done this ?

Guest bigredbusa

it was up near the footpath which is a good 10 feet away from the waters edge , just seemed strange that it had lost it's head , and yes apart from that it , it had all it's guts etc.

oh it is grafham water

I built some houses very close to the water in the 60s,all around the waters edge were dead pike 3-4 lb 100s of them,they had had a big pike match, and all those caught had to be knocked on the head.In the filter beds at the back,we used to tip the pipes up and get the rabbits out, one dinner time we got twenty , is it still the same?

Graffam used to be a trout fishery I believe-might explain the unpopularity of the pike.Don't know if it still contains trout but that little bream(what is it a foot or so long?) looks like its had its head chopped -off with a fairly blunt knife .Poachers ,kids being spitefull or maybe changing their minds about having a BBQ .From the picture it does'nt look as if its been chewed.

At grafham they used to gill net the spawning bays i beleive, then knock them on the head. This would explain a large number of dead pike. I dont think they do this anymore as the pike fishing is big money in itself. :victory: