what done this ?

Guest bigredbusa

seen the same thing today on the lakes thats the same thing a big carp mine was......

i wonder if it would be (cant remember name now)long beak fish eaters.........ARRRR ITS GONE..... YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

i got it a heron.........wow that was hard!!!!!lol

Edited by jeb

I think someone caught a fish on the line, cut its head off and threw the fish on the land, and from there a bird has eaten the eyes, and what ever else....

the head has come off too clean.. but i wont discount a LARGE fish eating bird. dont know all the types you have around there. but i would go with the first part. someones trash,

Guest Ditch_Shitter

What ever happened to that fish, I don't believe it was an animal did it.

I've just realised that the body is in fact upside down to the head there. So that demonstrates than something has rather cleanly cleaved that fish almost - not completely, but quite close - in half. There's no sign of canine teeth, or any other teeth come to that, on the body. It looks more like a blade strike.

But I can't see why anyone would chop a fish of that (apparrent) size like that, before discarding it.

I don't know where that water is, or what goes on on it. But my own best guess would be that the fish was ill or injured and so wasn't swimming like normal. Then I imagine a small boat's come along and fishy there got struck by the propellor. That'd allow for the only partial dismemberment.

Then I'd guess his body floated in and was ucked out by some curious person with a stick. He may have fell apart as a result of being lifted like that? Then the first corvid on the scene's had his eye out.

I'm still curious though; Were his guts still in there? :hmm:

what kind of fish is that anyway? a "trash" fish? bait? food? having been fishing enough in my life i've seen people do all kinds of dumb things with the fish they catch.... some of the things could put you in jail with a heavy fine - such as using a game fish as bait. you dont want to get caught setting out bush hooks with bream or perch as the bait.. - i've only done that once and didnt really like the idea. but i was a kid going fishing with my uncle so there wasnt much i could say about it.

other things i've seen if someone catches a trash fish they'll throw it onto the bank as it is, or SOME will be kind enough to kill it first before throwing it out. another thing is that one could have been dropped or left behind accidentally, or was stolen by some animal. i had a friend have that happen once with an owl of all things. he was in his little boat pulling a fish out of the water. he lifted it up to remove the hook when the owl swooped in and snatched it away. that particular owl is famous for doing that.. gave him a nasty cut on his hand too.

i like the idea about the boat propeller best though.

BUT you have to do better at describing the "scene of the crime" if we are to solve it!!

Guest bigredbusa

it was up near the footpath which is a good 10 feet away from the waters edge , just seemed strange that it had lost it's head , and yes apart from that it , it had all it's guts etc.

oh it is grafham water

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Sounds like kids. I'd still suggest a prop' strike did the main damage. Probably found floating about by some kids who - as kids do - fished it out for a look see and then found themselves wondering what on earth they were going to do with it now. Possibly chase each other up the bank with it?

I'd also suspect it will have been the same kids that - again, as kids are want to do - had his eye out. Perhaps they were lacking in vitamin C just then? :sick:

Only I can't see a corvid, especially at this time of year, being satisfied with just the crown jewels there. They'd have gutted it in no time too and generally hacked it about. And old fishy there shows precious little sign of active scavenging, if any.

Should have took him to a clarevoyent ;)