Salmon Spinners

anything green and gold seem to be the favourite at the moment..........and of course you cant beat the good old shrimp ( trotting) to contradict myself they seem to work best dyed red!!!!

a friend of mine has just been salmon fishing in ireland, and he caught an 8lb and 12lb fish.

one on a green/gold rapala and the other on shrimp.

we fish shrimp a lot over here in the spring but i suppose its all down to the water your on!!

are there any local lads where you go fishing give you any tips??? or is it the usual top secret stuff!!!!!

these are only my findings and i'm sure there will be plenty of advice from others.

good luck mate

Flying C's are probably the most popular Salmon spinners at the present time.

In clear water a black body with a silver blade seems to work best.

In dirty water either luminous red or yellow bodies and silver blades should do the trick.

And in tea coloured water you'll not go far wrong with a red body and silver blade. :thumbs:

im gonna try to get out this weekend have a look at a ladder see if much has come up then ill be trying the flying c (red silver blade) and the tazzy devil a purple one and a red usualy decent enough in clear water .

have you been out yet bagforthebadgers ? catch anything and what on ?

regards kris.

im gonna try to get out this weekend have a look at a ladder see if much has come up then ill be trying the flying c (red silver blade) and the tazzy devil a purple one and a red usualy decent enough in clear water .

have you been out yet bagforthebadgers ? catch anything and what on ?

regards kris.

I have been out a couple of times so far this season, but have had no salmon yet, hopefully later on I will though. I have been using flying C's (red silver)

And on the fly pot bellied pigs in hornet, tiger, marauder, park shrimp those sort of patterns. I fish on the river tyne and it is quite peaty water so a bit of colour is needed but what does work well is small salmon hairwing flies, they do the job nicely and catch the fish effectively. Some people will say that they dont but from experience they do!

Mepps anglia longue size 3 or 4 in bronze or silver or the Irish Lane Minnow.

I dont do anywhere near as much spinning as i used i seem to do better on fly for some reason, i reckon its got a lot to do with self confidence in whats at the end of your line.

Tight Lines

Aled

Thanks for the tips people! Keep them coming, im going to try everything :laugh:

ever tried using worm when the river is on a flood?

The worm can be even more deadly when the river has fallen back in after a spate. :thumbs:

A FEW YEARS AGO I HAD A LOT OF SALMON ON THE FLYING CS MOSTLY THE BLACK ONES WITH EITHER GOLD OR SILVER BLADES [GENIES] THATS A BLACK BODIES WITH YELLOW RED OR WHITE INSIDE THE TAIL OR JUST THE NORMAL COLOURS I ALSO SELL THEM £2 EACH + P&P IF ANY ONE WANTS ANY THE CAN PM ME MADE OF LATEX RUBBER NOT SILICON SO THEY DONT MELT IN THE BOXES :whistling: ONE OF THE BOYS THAT FISHES THE ESK WANTS 50 BLACK RED GENIES WITH SILVER BLADES

Edited by auld salmon

wat about the butch (red an silver) dos no one use it i never take it off

works all year round for me

i seen me get 4 fish last year one day ther was 3 of us fishing below were i live

an i was the only one useing the butch the other lads never got a touch

;)

when the river is in flood try using a blue and silver rapala size7 ive had a few on that!

also try using mepps size 2 or 3 in any of the colours.

if none of thesework then try a flying C, they seem to work everywere else but not on the river i fish!! :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

first fish ever..............................

i was spinning for salmon on the derwent in cumbria & on my 5th cast i was hooked into a 5lb salmon.

took a BLACK FLYING C.

everyone was using them. 2 other salmon caught 8lb & 18lb.

18lb was on a black flying c

8lb was on a firetail flying c, which has a black body, yellow tail, yellow head & silver blade.