Calzaghe V Hopkins

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe is a good boxer.....but he is chasing a has been.........and if you look at the defenses he has had some that have not been worthy contenders, unfortunatly for him the weight division has not been as strong as it use to be.

Its similair to the heavy weight a few names but nobody out there who is class e.g. Skeleton gets a chance for a title ...............if there any quality he would not be fighting Hopkins

Regards

Smokey

p.s......... chill out ,its only my opinion..

Hopkins for a 43 year old man still has very good footwork and upper body movement, but to beat Calzaghe he will have to try and spoil the fight by shutting Joe down and bidding his time to throw the big right hand.

Calzaghe is the much better fighter and will take the fight to Hopkins and start at a good pace and will maintain that pace to the final round Joe should win on points but hopefully he will stop him before the final bell and extend his unbeaten record to 45 fights. Best of luck Joe

www.live-NBA.org thats a free link to the live fight :thumbs:

started to download it then norton popped up saying it was harmfull :thumbdown::thumbdown:

What were you trying to download Sopcast? if you are running windows vista,and Norton anti virus,you'll have probs.

Joe and Hopkins could never have shared the ring untill recently.Joe Calzaghe is a very big super middleweight who has struggled to make the weight for most of his career.Hopkins was a "real" middleweight and has only recently been campaigning at light heavy,so to ask the question "why" they didnt meet before is obvious.As for avoiding people,the answer is self explanatory NO ONE wanted to fight Calzaghe,he was very heavy handed and very awkward.I'd love someone to give me a list of the fighters Calzaghe ducked.Just for the record,Roy Jones Junior is considered the greatest pound for pound fighter of the modern era,he was self managed,and self promoted,HE picked his fights,and he ALWAYS fought at home. :thumbs:

The fight was talked about many times.....but as with most of the top yanks they disregarded calzaghe when joe made it clear from early on that he wouldnt go to america,and rightly so in my opinion....america is the boxing capital of the world thats just how it is....in his book calzaghe himself asks why he should travel when he is champ.....then he hinted at his fear of flying.....so why go now ???....joe never wanted career defining fights...he wanted to keep an unbeaten record at any cost.....he also admitted he has never taken a fight he thought he might lose....this fight could and should have happened long before now

Edited by gnasher16
Joe and Hopkins could never have shared the ring untill recently.Joe Calzaghe is a very big super middleweight who has struggled to make the weight for most of his career.Hopkins was a "real" middleweight and has only recently been campaigning at light heavy,so to ask the question "why" they didnt meet before is obvious.As for avoiding people,the answer is self explanatory NO ONE wanted to fight Calzaghe,he was very heavy handed and very awkward.I'd love someone to give me a list of the fighters Calzaghe ducked.Just for the record,Roy Jones Junior is considered the greatest pound for pound fighter of the modern era,he was self managed,and self promoted,HE picked his fights,and he ALWAYS fought at home. :thumbs:

The fight was talked about many times.....but as with most of the top yanks they disregarded calzaghe when joe made it clear from early on that he wouldnt go to america,and rightly so in my opinion....america is the boxing capital of the world thats just how it is....in his book calzaghe himself asks why he should travel when he is champ.....then he hinted at his fear of flying.....so why go now ???....joe never wanted career defining fights...he wanted to keep an unbeaten record at any cost.....he also admitted he has never taken a fight he thought he might lose....this fight could and should have happened long before now

Evening Gnasher,i have never heard these comments from Calzaghe (not saying he didn't make them) i have followed the fight game since childhood (about 30 years) i have a catalogue of magazines dating back from the early eighties untill present,i have nearly any fight of note during that time on video and/or dvd.I have never heard Calzaghe say he was protecting an unbeaten record,i have heard him say on numerous occasions that as the champ why should he travel,which is a fair comment in my book.Its another case of America making itself the fulcrum of everything.The golf world champs (played in America by Americans) the baseball world series (played in America by Americans) this argument has nothing to do with geography,its all to do with money and tv.At the end of the day Joe is taking advice from his management and promoter (you know who) and if anyone is to blame for his visa free passport and lack of stateside recognition it is these people and not Joe himself.I like to see things from Manny Stewards viewpoint and i quote "Joe Calzaghe is one of the most gifted and talented boxers i have ever seen,is he the best supermiddle in the world? i think he's the greatest supermiddle ever, a rare talent" seems some Americans have taken him seriously after all. Lets hope Joe can do the job later,and maybe hush a few more doubters,although as i said when the fight was announced its a "no win situation" if he loses we'll see the "i told you so" headlines and if he wins it'll be " Hopkins was past it and in his youth would easily have beat Calzaghe" Nearly fight time so im off for a cold one Cheers! Come on Joe,SPANK THE YANK!! All the best as always Gnash,Bill :thumbs:

He said it in his book Bill.....give me a few days and i,ll even let you know what page !......another few notable points he spoke of in his book were..." i would never fight a war like the benn- eubank fight "....." i would never put myself in a fight like that where i knew injury was a serious threat ".....im not bashing joe i think he probably is one of the all time greats in his division....i just feel he has no right to expect the recognition worldwide that he does when he simply hasnt showed enough willingness to meet and beat the best......its unrealistic to expect roy jones / bernard hopkins etc to go to wales to fight...it was never going to happen and joe knew that.....i think its a shame because i would give him a better than average chance with any of those big names even in their prime....but like i say,when you value your unbeaten record more than you value fighting and beating the best....then you cant really complain you havent got worldwide recognition as the best.

Regarding the geography point.....could i call myself the fastest sprinter in the world without racing the worlds best....basketball,baseball whatever it may be.....and could i expect carl lewis or whoever to come to little wales and race me.......i think calzaghe has chosen his own path and thats fine...its just a shame he wasnt a little more ambitious with his career.....

Lets hope for a brit win....all the best.

Edited by gnasher16

For what my opinion is worth on it, I think I agree with some of what gnasher is saying. I dont want to knock Joe because he's a major british talent,

and if he had taken harder fights, he'd of proved the doubters wrong. But Frank Warren cant be held totally responsible for picking the fights. Ricky Hatton

wasn't getting the fights he wanted and felt he deserved, which is why he went to a management that produced the goods.

Sill hope he smashes the yank though. Wonder how many people are on the site because they're staying up for it! Thats why Im here :icon_eek: