A wee question for all you fishing people

Was out for a walk with the dogs today as it was such a lovely day came accross this but cant figure out what it is for

sheila013.jpg

thought it was a trap off some sort but look at the sides plenty of space for anything to swim past

Was out for a walk with the dogs today as it was such a lovely day came accross this but cant figure out what it is for

sheila013.jpg

thought it was a trap off some sort but look at the sides plenty of space for anything to swim past

its a fish trap of some sort. could be a eel trap

sheila013.jpg

Looks like a fish trap to me. Trout or salmon. just a guess though.

Guest dog on
i recon its an eel trap!
its set in the right sort of place but its the gap in the middle that makes me not sure plus if eels are left in it to long they would damage the end of their tails trying to escape through the large wire and it can kill them.my other gues is a course fish trap

sheila013.jpg

Am i right in thinking the picture is taken from downstream? ie water running towards the camera.

Looks like a fish trap to me. Trout or salmon. just a guess though.

I think your right baggy!

As the trap is the type used for fish migrating up stream.

Ferretess, do you know if salmon or sea trout get up this burn? If so, i would have thaught it was a trap used by fisheries management to catch fish before they spawn, in order for them to collect their eggs and safely rear the young for release a couple of years later. Thus increasing the numbers of returning adults in years to come.

Or might be that the farmer/ landowner whoever, may be catching them for his own ends.

Yes the water is running down stream you can see that from the left hand side of the picture,

And there are no salmon on the loch but full of trout ,, so i think you are right in thinking it is to catch fish as they swim up stream to spawn.

There is a opening at the side didnt get it on camera and it is padlocked.

Guest dog on
Yes the water is running down stream you can see that from the left hand side of the picture,

And there are no salmon on the loch but full of trout ,, so i think you are right in thinking it is to catch fish as they swim up stream to spawn.

There is a opening at the side didnt get it on camera and it is padlocked.

i agree now looking at it again i think the other side of the stream is blocked of so the only way up is into the trap .and it only catches a certain size fish and if it gets coverd in rubbish the holes are big enough to still let the water flow through Edited by dog on