What other dog to accompany a lurcher???

IF YOUR GETTING A LURCHER MATE I WOULD GET A TERRIER TO WORK WITH IT KNOCKING RABBITS OUT THE HEDGES. IF YOU GET A STAFFY OR ENGLISH THERE NOT REALLY ANY USE OUT ON THE FIELDS.

??? Ive seen some cracking staffies in the field! The right sort will have a great nose and hunt up really well!

Great partner for a lurcher. The right sort that is!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not get another lurcher? perfect pet plus you can work it too.

I wouldn't run a terrier with a lurcher. I know some get on fine but you can end up with a very hurt or very dead terrier if they dont see eye to eye when your out with them.

Good luck anyway

IVE GOT A STAFFY MATE AND A RUSSELL BITCH AND I WOULD TAKE THE RUSSELL BITCH EVERY TIME WHEN IT COMES TO RABBITING PURELY BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY ARE BRED FOR UNLIKE A STAFFY. THE LURCHERS DO MAKE GOOD GUARD DOGS MATE IVE GOT A PUBLIC FOOTPATH THAT RUNS PAST MY GARDEN AND WHENEVER ANYONE WALKS UP THERE THE LURCHERS GO MAD.

Correct me if im wrong. But thats not what they were bred for. They were bred for earthwork, mainly fox work. And should be kept primarily for this reason. JMO

i want a cocker spaniel to acompany my lurcher, for bushing.. they arnt as curious george (with fox sets etc) as a terrier.

just a suggestion my mate works his lurchers with a cocker bushing, great team

Edited by TerrierLad
Hello all, as some of you may know im living at home with my folks and were moving house in the next few months and im getting a lurcher.

My old man wants another dog, hes suggested staffy and english (which weve both had before) and also a little jack russel.

He is open to suggestions so im wondering what other dog might get along best with a lurcher? He wants it as a pet more than anything and as were moving to a small holding he wants something to keep an eye on the place and let us know when someones about.

We dont want a big rotty or german shepherd or anything though.

Im thinking patterdale, border terrier, jack russell (i know these are great little watch dogs with bags of courage) something along these lines which i could also make use of in the field ;-)

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Gaz Hi gaz get yourself a good border great temperment and great little workers there a bit slow to mature but make and exellent rock steady dog i shot, ferret, bush for the lurcher etc with mine.

any dog really but wouldnt get terrier because they are snappers and might fight.. jack russels ok.. just small dog for bushes mate..

wouldnt get a terrier because they are snappers and might fight !!!!!! so what is a jack russel then ??? ........ there speaks a man who knows nothing about dogs ..........

Guest little_lloyd

Ive got a little border x terrier,, She is not a worker,, but will knock rabbits and stuff out the hedges and undergrowth,, For him,, She gets a bit big for her boots with him and they have there fights ,, Lurcher will not take any stick of her,, But they are the best of mates.

any dog really but wouldnt get terrier because they are snappers and might fight.. jack russels ok.. just small dog for bushes mate..

wouldnt get a terrier because they are snappers and might fight !!!!!! so what is a jack russel then ??? ........ there speaks a man who knows nothing about dogs ..........

Brill this is why i come on this site ........ priceless :rofl::rofl:

When I decided to get a bushing dog to work alongside my lurcher over eight years ago I went for a Kelpie as my temperament doesn't gel with a terrier temperament. Eight years on I no longer have a lurcher but I now have three Kelpies which are brilliant bushing dogs with a do or die attitude to thick brambles etc. My newest bitch is slightly over 17" and has been known to go to ground, or as deep as she can get, when marking rabbits. I think the field-sports potential of herding breeds is often overlooked as so many people have a negative opinion of collies. I'm not saying they are better than terriers but they do fine for me.