Teachers and their pay

Because sometimes you do a job for the love of it!

I worked with horses until I had my daughter, one job I worked in a polo yard, sometime 14 hour days for £176 a fortnight and I loved every second of it.

Unfortunately I have to think beyond love of the job now, I have responsibilities but my chosen career is Midwifery, still not particularly high paying but better than the equine industry.

exactly!so you either do it for the love of it and put up with the money and the...oh lets face it........more weeks holiday than most can dream of!!! or you get yourself a job with more money. no one is forced to be a teacher!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you all think about this then? Any teachers on here that would be prepared to give us their opinions on their unions conference taking place this weekend and their take on what their members deserve? :drink:

Yo I'm A Carpentry and Joinery Lecturer at a college, yep the pays not bad, and the holidays are good, and yes we deserve every penny we get, can you imagine trying to educate 25 -30 kids, imagine looking after you worst mightmare niece or nephew well may be a bit of exeragerating but in my class I have 75% of the group need some sort of learning support or have adhd, turets, (I dont want to affend any one) but some times it's nearly an impossible task, why because of the goverments mamby pamby attitude towards any form of punishment , and TO many parents don't have control of their kids, if we phone a parent of a 17 year old for some form of support to back us up and and try to get the student in to college and help them, 50% of the time we get how the f**k do you expect us to help your the teacher, as if we have all the answers, I think the problem is the basic break down of family life and discpline, most parents dont want their children disiplined by any one in authority let alone a teacher.it stems from poor education read the Leitch report December 2006 read it proerly how many millions of parents cant read or write and have literacy and numeracy levels of a 5 year old, so come on make an argument why teacher should'nt more money, my missus work in a junior school and some kids cant even use a knife and fork this is not an educational issue to teach kids how to eat, Don't blame the kids it the parents and lack of control, OK rant over of course this might only be a small percentage of parents and kids but it's enough to make a difference to all the kids who do want to learn, kids who can't be disciplined are impossible to control in a class, discipline start from a young age,you cant teach an old dog new tricks, sorry if I affended any one, lack of educational is not a excuse for bad manner, rudeness and ultimatly voilence or aggression.

twins.

blimey......its worse than i thought when even the lecturers cant spell :o

I would not teach kids,especially teenages,for all the tea in china.But why do people moan about their wages?,surely when the teachers join a school they know how much they will get each month?.If your salary states £2000 a month should you expect £2700?,or am i missing something?

I would not teach kids,especially teenages,for all the tea in china.But why do people moan about their wages?,surely when the teachers join a school they know how much they will get each month?.If your salary states £2000 a month should you expect £2700?,or am i missing something?
so you would work for the same wage from when you start working until you retired no wage rise i dont think so

:hmm: they could always quit and do "supply" and then it would be possible to earn £60K plus........................allegedly :whistling::thumbs:

so you would work for the same wage from when you start working until you retired no wage rise i dont think so

I think as already said,, move on to something else instead of trying to put themselves on a pedestal :thumbdown: I earned really good money in the seventies/eighties, but I had to work for it, a lot of the time at my own expense health-wise :thumbdown: , industrial action or moaning wasn't part of the deal and you did not quit until the job was done and I can't honestly say I'm proud of, but some fecker had to to do it. When the chance came I got out and took a change of direction...............my choice at long last. It didn't quite go the way I planned and at fifty five will never be able to work full time again...............not my choice, but hey, that's life so you have to feckin deal with it.

Let's not fool ourselves here, when you get more you want more, it's called greed :) I think being in a job such as a teacher they ought to thank their lucky stars they don't work for some of the slave-drivers out there in the real world :drink:

uote name='mad al' date='Mar 22 2008, 08:19 PM' post='470133']

What do you all think about this then? Any teachers on here that would be prepared to give us their opinions on their unions conference taking place this weekend and their take on what their members deserve? :drink:

One last moan Work for slave driver, might be easier, problem is the whole time your job is hanging over your head, you see most colleges are now run like a private company yes in toe with the goverment so it works like this 20 students at the beginning of term good half way through term 15 kids who fault is it little jonny dosen't come to college or school not his mums or his dads it's the teacher or lecturers fault and now my boss is saying wont be getting any goverment finance for your course next year because you havent encouraged your students to come in so we phone during our dinnner or lunch break if this dosen't get a response we write a letter in our own time we take home work home to mark in our own time we are the students surrigate parents 24 7 we help them sort their housing when mummy and daddy chuck them out see we have a duty of care 24 7 thats why so many teacher throw the towel in to much fxxxing trouble, yer so what sort of society if teacher or lecturers go on strike or throw the job in and go into the real world over qualified for subject they taught now we have anachy , who will teach kids any trade, not billy the brick layeron price he dont want a ball and chain with a lummocks on the other end as well. This is also why their are so many people out their with degrees and qualifications who cant do the job because people who teach them give the qualifications away nearly, so they can still be abused for another term by the new intake. these are general comments and do not apply to every one.

twins