worming ferrets

my ferret has lost quite a bit of weight,

he has a hutch but has a run as well,i was wondering if there are any worming tablets for ferrets available as i have given raw rabbit to him in the past, :whistling:

i know this weight loss isnt the cold as i up the bedding when the temp drops,

an i have upped his food intake to no avail as well.

any ideas would be great :victory:

I have never wormed a ferret & is the hob entire ? sometimes they can loose condition when there in season, my albino hob is very much thinner right now due to him being horny & if he is awake he is trying to get out the cage to have a go at the jill :laugh:

dont think ferrets get worms could be wrong though all mine have lost there winter fat and are there normal slinky selfs :thumbs: mabey he is just normal?

you most certainly are wrong ... i do mine once a year and i use panacure for kittens ... you need to adjust the dose to compare with the ferrets weight ...........

I ALWAYS FREEZE RABBITS WHEN I CATCH THEM IF THEY ARE FOR THE FERERTS IT KILLS ALL THE BUGS ON THEN DEEP FREEZE FOR A GOOD 24 HOURS AND EVERYTHING ON IT IS DEAD GOOD PRACTICE TO DO ALSO KILLS THE FLEAS :thumbs:

i think you will find taht it takes a little longer than 24 hours in a freezer to kill the worms in a rabbit ;) ............

I suppose for a lot of ferreters, it depends on the amount of rabbits they are catching, I gut in the field, then once home, loose the head and feet, it makes them easier to fit in a chest freezer, and they get froze for at least a week, if not two, but maybe others cant or havent the capacity to hold 50 rabbits,

you say, you gave him fresh rabbit, what do you normally give him, or am I reading it wrong, I too have NEVER wormed a ferret in god knows how many years of keeping them, and as yet have never had a ferret die from worms, one from not being mated (infection to womb) and the rest have died from old age

small world, just lately have seen a few members living within a couple of miles

Guest basil46

I`ve never found any worms in their dung but i worm them twice a year anyway, once before winter, once before summer. I asked the vet at work if ferrets should be wormed, he said it wouldn`t hurt as a precaution.

basil.

socks i have never wormed a ferret and all of mine are in peek condition worms will die if frozen what you think the yare some kind of super creature that dosent die in -5 tempratures???

Confuscious he say: young man should listen to those with more years and experience!

You are very sure of yourself young man, but take it from those who have been on this planet a damn sight longer than you there are things in this world which can survive a lot longer than 24 hours at -5 degrees.

Research tells us that it can take up to 21 days freezing to kill tapeworm eggs in rabbits. If you think that worm eggs can survive in the ground for months, suffering extremes of dry, wet and heat and cold, it makes sense that 24 hours in a freezer aint gonna do the job!

Off topic a bit: didn't you see the Sought African frog in a David Attenborough programme that freezes every night then thaws each morning? Freaky I know, but it does prove that some critters can survive a night in the freezer. I'm sure there are plenty more examples: some insects for example, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

dont think ferrets get worms could be wrong though all mine have lost there winter fat and are there normal slinky selfs :thumbs: mabey he is just normal?

you most certainly are wrong ... i do mine once a year and i use panacure for kittens ... you need to adjust the dose to compare with the ferrets weight ...........

Same here mate.Got to do more good than harm.Prevention better than cure and all that :)

I suppose for a lot of ferreters, it depends on the amount of rabbits they are catching, I gut in the field, then once home, loose the head and feet, it makes them easier to fit in a chest freezer, and they get froze for at least a week, if not two, but maybe others cant or havent the capacity to hold 50 rabbits,

you say, you gave him fresh rabbit, what do you normally give him, or am I reading it wrong, I too have NEVER wormed a ferret in god knows how many years of keeping them, and as yet have never had a ferret die from worms, one from not being mated (infection to womb) and the rest have died from old age

small world, just lately have seen a few members living within a couple of miles

usually dry ferret food,sometimes dog food,if i go sshooting woodies he gets them inall after i have the breast,

were do u get about then,?

my haunt is over the power station :whistling: