to bag an eel......the zumerset way!

It's big business down here and before licenses were issued every dole dodger in the area was out elvering you'd see them all just off the M5 with nets etc on the roof's of their XR3i's but these days I think they need to have some licence or permit to sell the eels on a big scale.

The best way to catch conger eels is glatting :notworthy::notworthy:

whats this glatting then leveller never herd of it

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Leveller

Glatting is a local "Sport" in the Watchet/Minehead area where villagers armed with stakes and accompanied by dogs, hunt the huge conger eels that came to the sea shore each autumn.

Guest dog on
:icon_redface: Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Don't need chapter and verse just assumed it must be a net of some sort and wondered how you worked it. I've asked but it seems the environment lot won't issue licences to fish for elvers up here? Oh by the way, our lass hasn't even got my card details so I'm sure you'll understand if I give that one a miss :thumbs:

then if they wont issue you with one if you go they cant do you for not having one .only permision needed is land owner .if he dont give it dont mater .up to him to take you to court \\.but for what//i had to beg police to arest me one night land owner called them i would not go they did not know what to do i had not broken any law they told land owner to do a private sumons but could not advise what for .i was fishing for white fish \\elvers //on tidal waters which belong to the crown \\tidal waters//
Guest dog on
Glatting is a local "Sport" in the Watchet/Minehead area where villagers armed with stakes and accompanied by dogs, hunt the huge conger eels that came to the sea shore each autumn.
how do they go about it
Guest dog on
:icon_redface: Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Don't need chapter and verse just assumed it must be a net of some sort and wondered how you worked it. I've asked but it seems the environment lot won't issue licences to fish for elvers up here? Oh by the way, our lass hasn't even got my card details so I'm sure you'll understand if I give that one a miss :thumbs:

then if they wont issue you with one if you go they cant do you for not having one .only permision needed is land owner .if he dont give it dont mater .up to him to take you to court \\.but for what//i had to beg police to arest me one night land owner called them i would not go they did not know what to do i had not broken any law they told land owner to do a private sumons but could not advise what for .i was fishing for white fish \\elvers //on tidal waters which belong to the crown \\tidal waters//

if it was illegal in any way they would put a stop to it because the powers to be dont like people making easy tax free money same in all walks of life \\FACT//
how do they go about it

got me intrested! wouldnt mind seeing that!

Guest Leveller

It was a very popular sport for working folk a century or more ago. Terriers and spaniels were specially trained to hunt among the rock-pools along the coast at low tide, and their owners would follow them, with big sticks and steaks

Guest dog on
It was a very popular sport for working folk a century or more ago. Terriers and spaniels were specially trained to hunt among the rock-pools along the coast at low tide, and their owners would follow them, with big sticks and steaks
sound like a night out for the water bailifs in my area only we are the congers Edited by dog on

Thats right Leveller, there was an episode of Clarissa & the Countryman with Glatting in.

If I remember correctly, Johnny Scotts terrier Tug dived into the rock pool the spaniel marked an pulled the conger out, no need for the sticks with that one!

Brilliant lads,my mate showed a fella all the local loughs and he fished them early in the morning with fyke nets cleaned em out and moved on.He said in one spot he caught a big eel about 8Ib,i think,that was the only one,he said it was a cannibal one that doesn t go back to sea and feed on the young uns when they come in to the lough ???????

Anyhow does anyone know how to catch silver eels when they start to run.When do they run.I set a net over a stream flowing out of a big lough and expected it to be full but nothing after checking it for weeks from mid sep to oct..A mate told me his dad had one over the stream during the war and got lots.I ve tried fyke nets too but never got anything what am i doing wrong :hmm:

Guest dog on
Brilliant lads,my mate showed a fella all the local loughs and he fished them early in the morning with fyke nets cleaned em out and moved on.He said in one spot he caught a big eel about 8Ib,i think,that was the only one,he said it was a cannibal one that doesn t go back to sea and feed on the young uns when they come in to the lough ???????

Anyhow does anyone know how to catch silver eels when they start to run.When do they run.I set a net over a stream flowing out of a big lough and expected it to be full but nothing after checking it for weeks from mid sep to oct..A mate told me his dad had one over the stream during the war and got lots.I ve tried fyke nets too but never got anything what am i doing wrong :hmm:

you will only get big catches of silvers on a black night and flood conditions they can all be gone in 3or 4 nights mainly during sep and oct some times nov if conditions have not been right .if the place has already been netted realy hard then you wont catch many eels until it restocks its self .if small eels can get in easy it will take up to 8 years to get anygood size eels .but if you arenot geting any chances are it is empty and is not restocking its self .if eels are in resedence.you will deffinatley catch keep nets close to bank thats where eels feed more often .if you want to find if eels in water first try with rod and use rainbow trout as bait you will soon find out that wayyour mates dad was prob ably one of the first on the scene

you will only get big catches of silvers on a black night and flood conditions they can all be gone in 3or 4 nights mainly during sep and oct some times nov if conditions have not been right .if the place has already been netted realy hard then you wont catch many eels until it restocks its self .if small eels can get in easy it will take up to 8 years to get anygood size eels .but if you arenot geting any chances are it is empty and is not restocking its self .if eels are in resedence.you will deffinatley catch keep nets close to bank thats where eels feed more often .if you want to find if eels in water first try with rod and use rainbow trout as bait you will soon find out that wayyour mates dad was prob ably one of the first on the scene

Great mate thanks for all your info.A lot of the loughs small boggy places just mostly drainage fed but with outlets that all lead into the sea about 20mile away,a few i know of flow into the canal which goes to the sea so i can t think why these are not used or am i missing something.I have never heard of massive no.s but they are caught in decent enough amounts and i don t think or have never heard of many taking them in nets apart from that one fella and he has quit now.

Guest dog on

Great mate thanks for all your info.A lot of the loughs small boggy places just mostly drainage fed but with outlets that all lead into the sea about 20mile away,a few i know of flow into the canal which goes to the sea so i can t think why these are not used or am i missing something.I have never heard of massive no.s but they are caught in decent enough amounts and i don t think or have never heard of many taking them in nets apart from that one fella and he has quit now.

it also depends on the run of elvers\BABY EELS//about 8 years ago it started to decline and has got worse every year since .now it is at a all time low because the gulf streem that brings them is changing direction so we get less while other parts of the world are geting more than they used to .in this country all the big eels that go back to the see to spawn each year do not get replaced so eels are slowly diserpering plus the eels that do make it back to the sargaso sea to spawn are contracting a new discease that effects there swim bladder and they canot get down to the necessary depth to spawn so numbers are droping .this is why i stoped fishing big time for them i still clott in summer because there is always some eels in the lower river system it only seems that it is afecting waters that are hard to reach .try fishing the lower reaches of the rivers

it also depends on the run of elvers\BABY EELS//about 8 years ago it started to decline and has got worse every year since .now it is at a all time low because the gulf streem that brings them is changing direction so we get less while other parts of the world are geting more than they used to .in this country all the big eels that go back to the see to spawn each year do not get replaced so eels are slowly diserpering plus the eels that do make it back to the sargaso sea to spawn are contracting a new discease that effects there swim bladder and they canot get down to the necessary depth to spawn so numbers are droping .this is why i stoped fishing big time for them i still clott in summer because there is always some eels in the lower river system it only seems that it is afecting waters that are hard to reach .try fishing the lower reaches of the rivers

Thanks mate :thumbs: