to bag an eel......the zumerset way!

aa1.jpg

in days of yore along the somerset drains many an eel supper was had ,and some would even save up their eels on a wooden barrel full of water til they had a hundred or so,then they would be sold to the eel men from the smoke.

although night lines worked well they were limited in the number of fish they could catch as one hook would only catch one eel! and so another method was employed,an old hessian sack was found,it was stuffed with straw or hay and in the middle of it would be rabbit innerds or any other bait available some times chicken bones.The bag was then weighted down with a couple of good sized rocks or a brick,the top securely tied with a rope or baler twine.it was lowered into the drain and allowed to sink,then the string tied off onto a root or stick in the bank.

Untitled-1.jpg

how this trap would work would be that the eels would chew their way into the sack to get to the bait,next morning the chap would return to the sack and draw it up as quick as possible onto the bank th eels wouldn't find the way out too quick and thus they could be caught.the sack could then be tossed back in for another load.I have heard tell of as many as a score of eels caught this way at one time ,and if more than one sack was employed a fair penny earned!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog on
aa1.jpg

in days of yore along the somerset drains many an eel supper was had ,and some would even save up their eels on a wooden barrel full of water til they had a hundred or so,then they would be sold to the eel men from the smoke.

although night lines worked well they were limited in the number of fish they could catch as one hook would only catch one eel! and so another method was employed,an old hessian sack was found,it was stuffed with straw or hay and in the middle of it would be rabbit innerds or any other bait available some times chicken bones.The bag was then weighted down with a couple of good sized rocks or a brick,the top securely tied with a rope or baler twine.it was lowered into the drain and allowed to sink,then the string tied off onto a root or stick in the bank.

Untitled-1.jpg

how this trap would work would be that the eels would chew their way into the sack to get to the bait,next morning the chap would return to the sack and draw it up as quick as possible onto the bank th eels wouldn't find the way out too quick and thus they could be caught.the sack could then be tossed back in for another load.I have heard tell of as many as a score of eels caught this way at one time ,and if more than one sack was employed a fair penny earned!

thats got to be the worst method of catching eels i have ever tried

Guest dog on
what is clotting or bobing? im very interested in the eeling what bait do you use on night lines?

forget night lines once you do clotting you wont use any other method unles you want to make a living at it then you need fyke nets.you can catch enough clotting to fill a wheel barrow in 1 hour if eels are in abundant.

Guest dog on
I've only ever caught a few eels and they were caught on a rod and line.

Really interested in these other ideas you speak of. Could you explain more ?

DSC00070.jpg

Butch

is there a lot of eels where you go

To be honest im not quite sure, the few i caught were in an estuary.

Theres alot of dikes round here and also a large resoivoir.

Ive hear storys about people going into the estuary on dingys and bobbins for eels.

Ive got an eel net but havent had any luck yet.

Whats the best time for eels ?

Butch

Guest dog on
To be honest im not quite sure, the few i caught were in an estuary.

Theres alot of dikes round here and also a large resoivoir.

Ive hear storys about people going into the estuary on dingys and bobbins for eels.

Ive got an eel net but havent had any luck yet.

Whats the best time for eels ?

Butch

dont bother looking untill the weather warms up end of may untill end september .i will tell how to do it on here sunday night it takes a while to explain plus i have just had a couple of drinks and i got a function to go to tomorrow night .it will be worth the wait because you will earn quite a few quid at it .

Guest dog on
yes london they bye smoked and jellied eels :thumbs: i think the orientals bye em too :thumbs:

chinese will be your main market .i sold all mine to a place in holand a lorry came and picked up once a week or once a fortnight but i was using fyke nets big time and geting betwen 300 and 600 kilo a week

I would mind selling a few to give me a bit of cash :)

But i wouldnt be after a big supplier like that, and would prefer to just take in what i catch and sell it opposed to getting orders.

What would be the best way to go about this ? And what would i need to get set up ?

You got msn dog on ? Wouldnt mind picking your brains lol

Butch

Interseting thread Fish, a very efficient harvesting method in a survival situation.

Heres a pic of an eel my cousin and I had as lads, cut him into steaks, boiled the oil out and then fried, lovely.

Is this a method you guys use for cooking?

post-11073-1206139354_thumb.jpg

yes london they bye smoked and jellied eels :thumbs: i think the orientals bye em too :thumbs:

chinese will be your main market .i sold all mine to a place in holand a lorry came and picked up once a week or once a fortnight but i was using fyke nets big time and geting betwen 300 and 600 kilo a week

done a bit of that my self . same a lorry came from holand to pick up every week . then started fishing up in london

and sold to a chinese more money. used to fish 300 fyke nets. where did you fish

Interseting thread Fish, a very efficient harvesting method in a survival situation.

Heres a pic of an eel my cousin and I had as lads, cut him into steaks, boiled the oil out and then fried, lovely.

Is this a method you guys use for cooking?

thats a big eel where did you get that most as big as that are got where they can not get out from where thy are

and just Carry on geting bigger.

Lads it was caught in a stream in the foothills of the Victorian High Country, so yeah probably couldn't get out.

WRF your Granpa is proberly correct, my Grandmother boiled it in a big pot of water, not sure if there was salt in it or not and when all the oil came to the top we took it out (it had already been skun) and then leaving the eel whole just sliced big thick steaks from it, was lovely. The water it came from though was pristine.

I am sure fish has some great recipes.