to bag an eel......the zumerset way!

Guest dog on
HOW I DO CLOTTING.first you need a good supply of lob worms go at night on some short grass with a torch and colect by hand or pour soapy water on grass and wait until worms come to top then put them strait in clean water to wash the soapy water of them or they wont be any good to use .put worms in news paper to keep them in good order .and put in a cool place .until needed.you will need a baiting needle and some dental floss \not mint flavor /just plain floss thred about 8 inches through eye of bait needle and pull of about 10 feet of floss.take a worm and push needle through worm lenthways .to make it easer to do first throw worm on hard surface to stun it it will go solid dont throw it to hard.thread more worms on untill floss is full .every body i new who went clotting used wool to thread worms on to .i tryed floss and the results were 10 times better caught more eels.next tie the to ends of floss together to make a loop of worms .keep doubling the string of worms over until it becomes 1foot long.then using a strong piece of cord tie in middle so you have a clot of worms about 6 inches long . \\ willrennyferrete and little butch when you have read this and understand it let me know and i will continue with the rest//
you will nead a pole about 7 foot long the one i use is a 2 piece telescopic landing net handle tie a piece of verry strong cord to top of pole .i put a small bolt in top of pole to tie cord to .the cord needs to be shorter than pole by about 1 foot .put a round fishing weight about 2 ounces on cord and atatch a large sea snap link or swivel on end of cord to tie clot of worms to this is now your rod to fish with also get a course fishing licence to keep it all legal .now you need some type of net to land eels in you can use a verry large landing net or get a small keep net .and atatch a large sheet of fine net to it bye sewing this large piece of net half way around mouth of keep net .so you can peg this large piece of netting on the bank to land eels on and they let go and slide down into keep net .the eels are caught by them biting on the clot of worms .eels teeth face backwards so they cant let go that easy all you nead to do is when you feel eels pulling simply lift pole and swing eels over netting.and shake them off .this lifting of pole is the one thing you will learn with practis it is not like striking with a rod it is a very steady lift and let it swing across netting .let me know you under stand this and i will tell when and where to fish

dont bother until end of may .if river find a place where it is shallow 1 foot to 4 foot deap so bait is allways on the bottom same on ponds try and find spot where it is flowing it will take scent down streem to eels fish tight in the side .get to fishing spot 1 hour befor dark eels feed best just on dark and about 1 hour into dark and again just befor light so you only need to go at these times not all night .not to good on full moon but still catch .if it rains and the river starts to go muddy you will have some of your best catches so you will need more clots then .eels wiil continue to feed untill weather starts to get to cold usualy end september mid october .if eels are not feeding when you get there only stay till dark dont go looking because most of eels would have feed already once you have fished a spot dont bother going there again for a few months because new eels will have to occupy it . try to start low down river .then when you go again go about half a mile above last spot that way you will keep on catching .let me know you under stand this and i will tell where to sell and how to keep eels alive .///when you have used a clot for fishing and it is still ok to use again put it in a bag and freeze it then when worms are hard to get you can use the frozen ones 1 more time after that they are all washed out and no good.and allways keep the cord tight when you are fishing that way you will tell when eels are stuck on the clot

a couple of things to remember eels are a very hardy fish they can live for days if they are damp because they can breath through their skin but if they get dry they cant.and they die very quickly so allways make sure when you move them keep them damp dont put them in sacks for to long better to get some soft small net bags keep check on bags for holes also check keep net for holes because i caught a lot one night and when i lifted the keep net to go it had a smallhole and they all got out .dont put to many in a bag if you carry any distance the best thing to get them from the river bank is a wheel barrow in nets .if you have to keep them alive for a week or more get a plastic barrel with a good lid drill it with a lot of small holes and sink it in a safe place and secure it to the bank .if eels are to be frozen or sold to smokery they must be keept alive for at least 2 days because they will regurgatate their last meal then they freeze and smoke better if freezing do not gut eels the best way to kill a eel is to put it in a secur bag and freezeit it sounds cruel but when eels hibernant they drop their body temp to get them through the winter.so it is just like going to sleep for them .90 percent of eels are sold alive any way.but.smokerys like the eels 2 pounds and over and you get top doller for them 7 pounds a kilo so if the smokery wants eels they freeze them until they have enough to smoke in one go .you will find your nearest smokery on web or yellow pages .your local chines restaurant will prob have eels alive off you they eat them themselvs only keep eels over 3 quaters of a pound put rest back to grow for another day. eels.under 2 pound fetch about 3 to 5 pounds a kilo.if you fish with a rod and line the best bait i found for big eels is a piece of rainbow trout 1 and a half inch .little eels dont get a look in the big eels seem to find it first there is still some things i have not rembered i will include at a later date .ask about any thing your not sure about .as you can see if there are enough eels in your area you can have some fun during the summer and earn some easy TAX FREE money.let me know how you get on . Edited by dog on

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog on
It's big business down here and before licenses were issued every dole dodger in the area was out elvering you'd see them all just off the M5 with nets etc on the roof's of their XR3i's but these days I think they need to have some licence or permit to sell the eels on a big scale.

The best way to catch conger eels is glatting :notworthy::notworthy:

yes elvers are big buisness i also do this i can earn enough money in 3 months to get me bye for the rest of the year i think these others doing this is on to a good thing iv done it for 34 years i even had a tax bill demanding 24 grand for the one season did not pay it though i simpley asked for proof i earnd amount to owe that mutch they could not provide proof elvers is a multy million pound buisness im just about to start this seasons fishing .200 pounds akilo at the moment they have fetched 450 a kilo you get a serious smile when you weigh in 60 or 70 kilo in a night.glatting thats new to me Edited by dog on
Guest dog on
good on you mate you have enlightened me :thumbs: cant wait now for the fishing season :p :P how big wood you class elvers?
elvering is totaly diferent thing they are baby eels about as big as a match stick but transparent completly dif method of fishing also very dangerous because of amount of money involved you have to fish with mike tyson look a likes to hold a spot on the river bank or bye your own wrights and employ security guards to patrole while you fish you are beter of leaving well alone i fish with some tyson look a likes .elvers only run the river on big tides for a couple of weeks .betwen april and june Edited by dog on
Guest dog on
do you fish the wye and severn for elvers a relation of mine does some on the severn around the glos area dont you have to have a licence to fish for them now and are they quite limited (licences)
yes i fish this area you do need a licences never used to they started licencing to try and tax it but the byers new we would not fish so the byers pay tax on what they bye in tax man cant have 2 bites of the cherry so we now pay for a licence so water bailifs can be paid to come and check you got one \\.brain of briton must have though of that one//

Dog on .

There used to be an eel man on my local river in the North East but he took the big eels with what I think is called a Fyke net. He said he exported his to Holland but that was a good few years back. I don't think we have an elver run to speak of but am interested in how you catch them. Do you use a fine mesh Fyke net? or is it something different?

Guest dog on
Dog on .

There used to be an eel man on my local river in the North East but he took the big eels with what I think is called a Fyke net. He said he exported his to Holland but that was a good few years back. I don't think we have an elver run to speak of but am interested in how you catch them. Do you use a fine mesh Fyke net? or is it something different?

you got a funny name .and you have only posted 9 times there are no posts to see in your profil you have also been a member since o7 why are you so quite.im a bit weary .if im wrong i appologise net used is hand held fine mesh

I fully understand your concern. I'm not much for computer stuff but interested in lots of country stuff not just fishing. I won't post just for the sake of it, I enjoy the chat between those who obviously know each other and am still feeling my way. But I won't let that stop me from asking a question if I want to know more about a particular pursuit or offering my own opinion when I think I've got something to add. I've only been fishing for a couple of years so i'm still learning at that the funny name comes from an in joke. Not long after I started I was fishing on a stillwater with my mate who asked how are you doing. I said crap I'm just watching you fish while I'm whipping the water into a frenzy. I've replied to your comment on the posting about snaring fish today as well. :victory:

Guest dog on
I fully understand your concern. I'm not much for computer stuff but interested in lots of country stuff not just fishing. I won't post just for the sake of it, I enjoy the chat between those who obviously know each other and am still feeling my way. But I won't let that stop me from asking a question if I want to know more about a particular pursuit or offering my own opinion when I think I've got something to add. I've only been fishing for a couple of years so i'm still learning at that the funny name comes from an in joke. Not long after I started I was fishing on a stillwater with my mate who asked how are you doing. I said crap I'm just watching you fish while I'm whipping the water into a frenzy. I've replied to your comment on the posting about snaring fish today as well. :victory:
how old are you
Guest dog on
55 a scorpio married for 27 years with two grown up boys. I've shot, worked ferrets, and dogs since a lad, been around a bit and at the risk of offending you anything else is my business.
us old scorpios are a weird bunch\\wats your bank card detales//i ment what do you want to know about elvering

:icon_redface: Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Don't need chapter and verse just assumed it must be a net of some sort and wondered how you worked it. I've asked but it seems the environment lot won't issue licences to fish for elvers up here? Oh by the way, our lass hasn't even got my card details so I'm sure you'll understand if I give that one a miss :thumbs: