Bear Grylls .....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ray mears could live of his own fat reserves for 6 months, bruce parry every time for me

i'd want to learn how to do the survival stuff off Ray Mears, but then go do the adventuring with Bruce Parry. i think RM would irritate the piss out of me after a while.

then probably tell me it was an important source of moisture in a hostile environment, & make me drink it :sick:

ray mears could live of his own fat reserves for 6 months, bruce parry every time for me

i'd want to learn how to do the survival stuff off Ray Mears, but then go do the adventuring with Bruce Parry. i think RM would irritate the piss out of me after a while.

then probably tell me it was an important source of moisture in a hostile environment, & make me drink it :sick:

I got to agree on the irritating point Ossie :yes: I think he would bore me sh!tless, hes good but comes across as no sense of humour.....

Lads and Lasses the big misinterpretation with these survival 'experts' is that they must be SF. In the early nineties I attented a place called Pulada in Malaysia, basically it is the arsehole of the earth but it is where they ran the premier military tracking and survival course for the worlds military. I am sure a number of lads from this site have been there and will understand what I am saying. Most of the course is common dog f#ck, yes you pick up small bits and pieces that help and lose a lot of weight while you go hungry but attenting these courses does not make someone a SF soldier.

Ray Mears, Bear Gryllis and the like are looked upon as elite because they have this knowledge under their belts, this is not the case, anyone can acquire this knowledge with pure common sense.

Our army along wth the British army has spent a lot of time and resources training personnel in a jungle environment, as in survival and tracking courses in Malaysia and Belize, how applicable are they now, as all our boys see know is sand, sand and more f#cking sand.

The crux of my post is, just because you see thse men on the TV spruking off their talents does not make them a Special Forces soldier, the criteria is much more involved than this.

I have had some exposure to the British Military and having now met both Ray and Bear, and having some direct involvement with one of them I can say that they are simply putting the art of bushcraft/survival etc in the public eye and making money from it. Good on them! Whether Bear was or was not badged SF makes little difference to his skill set does it? It does Ray no harm to have not been a serving soldier does it? The public, mainly male, viewer wants to watch grass roots television and these guys are producing the shows for them to watch, just as 'The Bush Tucker Man' did in Australia and John Wiseman did through his books and courses. I doubt that either one would care to be compared to the other, nor considered to be the best survivalist. The SF tag just adds to Bear's macho image that the (male) viewer wants to give him.

OTC

Yawn all this SF nonsense grips my shit..Its a fair one getting badged but f**k me the status attached to it is beyond me..It doesnt automatically make you a decent bloke or even a super soldier....Hereford is a big click anyway..At the end of the day Being in the forces isnt the be all and end all , people get taken in by all the shite published in Nuts, Zoo, FHM etc bout reg this sqdn that..The only good book I have ever read on The reg is By Billy Ratcliffe, the rsm at hereford for years..Read that and see what your opinion is bout these post bravo two zero wideboys..

As for survival skills 95 % of the army couldnt skin a rabbit..FACT!!

Great post Stiffy, what I was trying to say but didn't grasp it as well as you. Mind you Aussie Paras are better than Brit Paras. Stab's made me say that honest.

All the best with your trip and get Stab's an addy so we can send you some reading material, promise it will be better than FHM

He has asked you to send him "Leather Boys Monthly" then has he Jager..............lol............he has been asking everyone that.

The best that boy can hope for is a shaved camels crack or a woman with a beard.......... :tongue2:

Say what you like about Grylls........and I agree with pretty much all of it............he is still the youngest man ever to Climb The Mountain..........no one can take that away from him.

Guest little_lloyd

Bear :blink: ,, :rofl:

Waste of time in my opionion,,, Does all these shows in exotic places,, Makes out hes the living of the land tipe of person, then goes back to a hotel lol,, And old Ray he had some very good shows untill he led us to belive he shot the deer, by fireing the rifle,,, Lost alot of viewers to that :yes: I think these survival lot are nothing really :no:

Just my opinion :victory:

I have had some exposure to the British Military and having now met both Ray and Bear, and having some direct involvement with one of them I can say that they are simply putting the art of bushcraft/survival etc in the public eye and making money from it. Good on them! Whether Bear was or was not badged SF makes little difference to his skill set does it? It does Ray no harm to have not been a serving soldier does it? The public, mainly male, viewer wants to watch grass roots television and these guys are producing the shows for them to watch, just as 'The Bush Tucker Man' did in Australia and John Wiseman did through his books and courses. I doubt that either one would care to be compared to the other, nor considered to be the best survivalist. The SF tag just adds to Bear's macho image that the (male) viewer wants to give him.

OTC

The Bush Tucker man was better than both of them, IMO. Not over the top like Bear, & not as preachy & pedantic as Mears.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Not forgetting Eddie McGee! ;) No idea what so ever of his background. But he sorted out Barry Pruden ~ and That had f*ck all to do with tv ratings. He just got out there and did what he said on his own tin :yes:

Back to the Boys Own stuff though ..... When I was a lad, the S.A.S (TA) were based in Hilsea, Portsmouth. Just over the creek from a place known locally as Foxes Forest.

One day, being a frequenter of that wood, I ran into a bunch of lads all done up in cammo gear and setting themselves up for a battle. I fell in with them and was told what side I should be on. I was with the attacking side. The rest vanished deeper into the woods.

After some time, we " Attacked ". Well, that is to say we 'Advanced'. It's hard to attack what can't be seen. Just bad light. Trees and lots and lots of ivy. War films and even the games I'd played in even younger life had never been like this. When were They going to appear, going " Bang! Bang" and " Kishhhhhhow! ". Nothing. No sound. Not a sign. This was getting boring.

Then a tree sort of seperated in the half light. I saw two glints of ever growing light. Felt the impact as a huge weight drove me to the floor. I was 'Stabbed to death' and left to rot into the leaf litter. The first casualty of an eerily silent battle ground.

Me Vs. the S.A.S ? I didn't last five minutes, did I? :no:

Not forgetting Eddie McGee! ;) No idea what so ever of his background. But he sorted out Barry Pruden ~ and That had f*ck all to do with tv ratings. He just got out there and did what he said on his own tin :yes:

"No need to die"............I still have that book ;)

The best that boy can hope for is a shaved camels crack or a woman with a beard.......... :tongue2:

Ah WILF that's just cruel, only problem with the Gay Boy annual mags is you have to fight them out of Stab's grasp!

Ah WILF that's just cruel, only problem with the Gay Boy annual mags is you have to fight them out of Stab's grasp!

Is old Dustin Hoffman ready for his big day..........cleaned his trainers, ironed his shorts......paid the medical insurance !!!.......... ....that type of thing :laugh: