WHAT ELSE HAVE YOU BOLTED

On two occasions bolted a little owl.
i,ve bolted foxes, feral cats, stoats, mink, little owls, rock doves, a wild ferret , a polecat, a couple of rats , and a wee mouse that came out and tucked itself up beside a fresh killed rabbit for warmth on a cold day in woodland .

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On two occasions bolted a little owl.
i,ve bolted foxes, feral cats, stoats, mink, little owls, rock doves, a wild ferret , a polecat, a couple of rats , and a wee mouse that came out and tucked itself up beside a fresh killed rabbit for warmth on a cold day in woodland .

How wild was the ferret? :boxing:

Guest lurcherboy2008
Hi all

Went for a couple of hours out yesterday with ferret and dog in hand.

Things were all going fine when the dog marked a small warren at the side of a small pond.

In went the ferret and a short while later out bolted a squirrel to my total surprise, closely follow by the ferret.

I have never seen this before in twenty years of hunting, and wondered if anybody else has encountered this or any other surprise's.

Cheers Stoney :thumbs:

i bolted a squirrel last year in a small 5 hole rabbit warren. its not rare to do that round my place

Foxes,feral cats, stoats ,rats,even a rabbit once. I well remember ferreting with my brother in the early 80's in the middle of a Febuary freeze- up.My dog marked a frozen bank and we bolted a rabbit and a fox.Because the ground was too hard for the pegs we'd tied the nets to logs .It worked with the rabbit but the fox kept going half in the meshes ,half out,dragging the branch several yards with an irate mongrel in hot pursuit. Eventually it threw the net and escaped. If I'd had one of those LLama hunting ferrets from Derby things might 've been different. At the next bury the ferret bolted one rabbit then stuck .As we waited,sleet falling,us growing colder , I decided to use a paunched rabbit tied to a purse- net in an attempt to lure the wayward ferret out.I pushed the bunny down a hole that seemed to interest the dog and started my slow retrieve.I felt something latch onto the bait briefly and bent down to peer into the hole.About six inches from my nose in the classic, spitting,hissing,hunched -up, "I ain't gonna back down "pose, was a very irate mink. Apparently I made some very strange,slightly girly, noises.The mink went back down and when the ferret appeared unharmed we decided to give- in to the worsening weather conditions and make our way home via a local chip shop.Our route back through the woods took us under a rookery and my bird-loving brother secreted half a dozen cold-stricken and probably starving avian casualties about his person. Strangly no one in the chippy said a word when my rather large brother entered despite the rows of rook faces protruding from the pockets and even the hood of his German army parka. :thumbs: