The 'one shot' Zero

Recently been told about the 'one shot' zero, is this a good idea for sighting in a new rifle?

Or does it need a bit more effort than that?

The only thing i can think of that that person may have meant is that you get a more accurate shot when your barrel is cold(provided you obviously have it zero'd! so if you were to zero your rifle the best you can and then let the rifle's barrel cool down and the re zero more accuratly??

Guest JohnGalway

Shooting at a stone wall 50 yards away, on purpose? Please look up this term.

I find shortcuts to be the longest distance between two points. I would use a more conventional method to be honest :yes:

Not you mate think it was post no 10 garyw hes shootin at stone walls hense the link to the guy shooting at a steel plate with his 50cal :victory: God knows how i managed to get all those quotes up there still findin my feet on site. Rich

Not a problem rich.

:thumbs:

so sorry to dissapoint all of you out there but yes i do shoot at a stone wall 50 yds away and yes im still here to tell the tale. if you all knew what i know about high velocity bullets and there out come with said stone wall then you will understand why i can tell the tale.im not advocating anyone else does this just telling you what i do. iv been shooting fire arms for nearly 30 yrs now and think i can make up my own mind and form my own judgment as to what is safe and what is not.

i use the wall to see the point of impact with two shots then if needed maybe two more then its onto paper.the area where i do my load testing is on a farm near to where i live the back stop used then is a old oak tree that was struck by lightning about 15 yrs ago the tree is approx 5 ft wide and is as hard as iron the bullets dont go any where i reckon over the years me and the farmer who also uses it have put 2000 rounds into it.

any way be safe out there. :bye:

so sorry to dissapoint all of you out there but yes i do shoot at a stone wall 50 yds away and yes im still here to tell the tale. if you all knew what i know about high velocity bullets and there out come with said stone wall then you will understand why i can tell the tale.im not advocating anyone else does this just telling you what i do. iv been shooting fire arms for nearly 30 yrs now and think i can make up my own mind and form my own judgment as to what is safe and what is not.

i use the wall to see the point of impact with two shots then if needed maybe two more then its onto paper.the area where i do my load testing is on a farm near to where i live the back stop used then is a old oak tree that was struck by lightning about 15 yrs ago the tree is approx 5 ft wide and is as hard as iron the bullets dont go any where i reckon over the years me and the farmer who also uses it have put 2000 rounds into it.

Have you not thought about a nice piece of wood with a few targets on and a set of binos? With perhaps a nice grassy knol behind it. Whats behind this stone wall? Seems mighty dodgy to me, mind i aint no expert on balistics etc but i has a guess at some point those balistics might bite ya in the arse shootin at walls. Tin hats for everybody :D

Why do you need to find how to do a one shot zero? if your in that much of a rush what chance have you got of hitting a live target in the kill zone?

Take your time, make sure you can fire accuratly the way you intend to use the rifle, then go on to live targets.

Some good advice on here, please heed it.

Have you not thought about a nice piece of wood with a few targets on and a set of binos? With perhaps a nice grassy knol behind it. Whats behind this stone wall? Seems mighty dodgy to me, mind i aint no expert on balistics etc but i has a guess at some point those balistics might bite ya in the arse shootin at walls. Tin hats for everybody :D

RICH.as your qoute suggests a nice piece of wood?what happens to the projectile as it passes through the wood?well unless you have a back stop like a big oak tree i think it will carry on maybe not in one piece but it will.i use a target board in front of the tree.

binos?shows what a cheap scope does for you,get a nightforce iv got two i think you will throw those binos in the bin.

a grassy knoll!FFS look what happened to J.F.K.!

behind the stone wall? a large earth berm 12-15ft high.seems dodgy yes it probably does but like i say i know what happens to those high velocity bullets when they hit ,there is nothing left of them.ballistics expert,. im not one either but iv loaded my own ammo for 25yrs now so i think i can form my own judgment as to what is safe so nothing will bite me in the arse.tin hat go sh*t in it. :feck:

RICH.as your qoute suggests a nice piece of wood?what happens to the projectile as it passes through the wood?well unless you have a back stop like a big oak tree i think it will carry on maybe not in one piece but it will.i use a target board in front of the tree.

binos?shows what a cheap scope does for you,get a nightforce iv got two i think you will throw those binos in the bin.

a grassy knoll!FFS look what happened to J.F.K.!

behind the stone wall? a large earth berm 12-15ft high.seems dodgy yes it probably does but like i say i know what happens to those high velocity bullets when they hit ,there is nothing left of them.ballistics expert,. im not one either but iv loaded my own ammo for 25yrs now so i think i can form my own judgment as to what is safe so nothing will bite me in the arse.tin hat go sh*t in it. :feck:

Oh dear me! I use a wooden board so i can hold the targets on with staples always had difficulty gettin them into stone walls, incidently that is in front of a grass hill more often referred to as a safe back stop. If you are referring to a hawke nightforce which i think you are, please correct me if im wrong but my leupold vxl 20 x 56 is quite ample and my swarovski 8x50 binos seem quite good to date. I tend to zero the rifle with a mate and take my time doing it maybe firing 4 sets of three rounds, after all its part of the fun and good practice for the real thing, with one of us watching through the binos assisting the other.

Why you would choose to shoot at a stone wall which lets face it nobody could judge what is going to happen to the round after its hit is beyond me when you seem to have a nice grassy bank and a tree however if 25years of home loading means you are confident that you aint going to get a nasty spinner back at you well best of luck but it would not be me.

This dude I'm sure was firing high velocity rounds disintigrate ha! only after it hit the target then the floor then his ear defender!!! NO MORE IRON DOH!!

Perhaps others members would like to vote:

Zero your rifle at 50 yards against a stone wall or against a target at 50 yards with a grass bank behind. :wallbash:

RICH.

HAWKE? no nightforce as in nxs 5.5-22x56. i test ammo/powder combos this way to get fast results.as for asking for votes that shows weakness in your convictions.any way you do things your way ill do em my way. :drink:

RICH.

HAWKE? no nightforce as in nxs 5.5-22x56. i test ammo/powder combos this way to get fast results.as for asking for votes that shows weakness in your convictions.any way you do things your way ill do em my way. :drink:

Appreciated,very nice scope, appart from the weakness bit. However to shoot at a stone wall at 50m to find where your hitting initially then go onto a paper target with a back stop it don't make any sense, or does it?????? :hmm: I stand by my convictions and would be certain amongst fellow riflemen that i could hold my head high. Would you admit to your convictions? :doh:

RICH.

Appreciated,very nice scope, appart from the weakness bit. However to shoot at a stone wall at 50m to find where your hitting initially then go onto a paper target with a back stop it don't make any sense, or does it?????? :hmm: I stand by my convictions and would be certain amongst fellow riflemen that i could hold my head high. Would you admit to your convictions? :doh:

rich;the wall in question is about 8ft high and 30yds long, when testing any powder/bullet /scope combo you cannot say where the first shot will go putting up a target board to find out well yes i agree its the tested way BUT for the first shot how big does the board need to be?and if you miss the board where is the bullet going/.well with the wall i know in two shots then adjust scope then if its where i think it is ill go to paper and adjust accordingley.the reason behind all this is to minimise the amount of time and wasted ammo if im making a load up for someone.at this moment im loading not only for myself[3 rifles] but 3 other people as well developing loads for them.if i was to make up 3 lots of powder/ bullet combos and had to load 15 cases for each thats a lot of time wasted ,as i dont charge for this you can see the sense.

fair play if you stand by your convictions , i stand by mine but asking for votes is like rallying the troops .

any way if nothing we have chewed a bit of fat and lived to tell the tale .whatever you do do it safely and enjoy lifes too short. :thumbs:

Recently been told about the 'one shot' zero, is this a good idea for sighting in a new rifle?

Or does it need a bit more effort than that?

Fire one shot with the rifle on bags or in a clamp, then without moving the rifle, have one person look through the scope and the other adjust the scope so that the sight lines up smack on the first bullet hole. That is what I have been told, sounds to make sense, but not sure how easy it is to not move the rifle.

Bench Rest shooters use this method,adjust from the bullet hole to the point of aim.