WHAT NOT TO FEED

Guest lurchers&terriers

Guest tina/kev/sky/ace/tug

We all here now and then what we SHOULD NOT feed our dogs like white rice potatos and so on. If anyone is clued up enough and knows of something that is dodgy to feed to your dog and why its not goodfor them let us know, :victory: we can then maybe make a list and a mod could sticky it. just a idea but if im talking crap just ignore me .

no chocolate it has toxins in it that poison dogs also no grapes or raisins theres some kind of spores that grow in them that are harmful to dogs had a girl at me for a pup once she had a whippet pup that ate the contents of a selection box the vet had to pts as it had been poisoned from the chocolate also cooked chicken bones no good as they splinter and can puncture your dogs insides always feed raw as the bones are still soft ;)

Cooked chicken, rabbit and mutton bones can splinter with obvious results. But im sure there all ok raw. Ive also heard onions are a no no.

jesus iv aways ginin my dogs cooked chicken and necer had a problem its a great source of high protien :icon_eek:

It's just the bones that can cause problems!

I'm sure some of these have been mentined but this is my ( small ) list:

Raisins- Are proved to be toxic to dogs but the number depends on size or age of the dog.

Grapes- As little as 3 or 4 can kill a small sized dog or pup

Chocolate- milk chocolate is not as toxic and dogs can tolerate larger potions but dark chocolate, coco powder and any kind of chocolate cake etc is toxic even in small amounts.

Onions- can cause problems in dogs, how toxic they are is still an argument vets can’t agree on, however most dogs will have loose bowels after eating onions or food that includes onions.

Bones should only be given raw, cooked boned (as already stated) splinter.

Chicken on the bone can (sometimes) cause problems because the small bones can cause a choking hazard.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all i have for now.

Edited by Andrea
We all here now and then what we SHOULD NOT feed our dogs like white rice potatos and so on. If anyone is clued up enough and knows of something that is dodgy to feed to your dog and why its not goodfor them let us know, :victory: we can then maybe make a list and a mod could sticky it. just a idea but if im talking crap just ignore me .

nothing wrong in feeding potatoe ... and white rice is fine as long as you wash out all the starch ......

My girlfriends a vet and she says iburofen pain killers are toxic to dogs, just a couple will cause renal failure. Some old dear had been givin her dog half because she had lost some anti-inflamatorys that the vet had given her. Paracetamol will do the same to cats.

all our dogs have had all scraps from the table thrown in with there food, and thats just about every thing. and we have never had any problems.

I think feeding scraps from the table, providing there's no known toxics in there, is very good for a dog.

I have alway been led to believe that chicken is great for a dog plus gentle on the belly of sick dogs, providing small bones are removed.