Hi

All you diesel car owners out there, how many of you use vegatable oil for fuel in your vehicles and whats the ups and downs to useing it.

I have a 55 plate shogun sport and have been told that useing straight vegatable oil in it will do no harm at all.

I put 20 litres in it on Sunday and topped the tank up with diesel and havnt noticed any difference in performance or starting as yet.

Hope some of you guys will be able to enlighten me on how good or bad it is.

cheers all

bobnets

:D:D:D

There is a topic on this somewhere else. I used to put veg oil in my fiesta van at a ratio of 70% oil in the summer and 30% ish in the winter and i got more mpg on oil!

If you have access to a wholesale warehouse the oil is dirt cheap and absolutely fine. Im not sure on the newer motors though, my van was a w reg i think.

Used to run my VW Caddy on the stuff for ages, it's great.

You have to be carefull you don't use too much oil when the bad weather is here as it can go solid in the fuel lines so no more than 50 - 50 (70 - 30 would be better) but other than that you shouldn't really have any bother.

It's worth changing the fuel filter a bit more regular as it can get deposits in.

You can even use used oil from say your local chippy, chinese or indian etc. This must be filtered though and you can use a piece of muslin or buy a special filter.

You will normally get this free from a local restaurant as they have to pay big bucks to have it removed professionally so any you take away saves them the cost.

The only other draw back is you get a smell of doughnuts from the exhaust, but I thought that was a plus to be honest as it smells lush.

You can also use up to 2,500 litres per year free under current law.

If you need further info just type in bio fuel on google. Some sites even tell you if your engine is recommended to use the stuff or not. Some of the more modern fuel pumps are a bit weak and can have issues with oil. Also any warranty on your vehicle will be void as well.

we tryed at work on one of the old wagons fine for twelth months apart from the smell and the smoke it was like driving a chippy range i kept a close eye on it cause i was hoping to run my defender on it but i decided not to after i realised it had to be serviced three times to its usuall one then eventually it packed in alltogether from running on this fuel we were using 70 derv 30 veg oil ill find out of the spanner man what excactlly stopped it from running but i know it was down to the fuel for the ammount you safe on fuel i think you get close to spending on the extra maintenance plus theres the hassle of having to do the work imo its not worth it. :no:

How do you know it was the fuel?

The diesel engine was designed to run on OIL (not diesel), peanut oil. The closest thing to that in abundance is rapeseed or vegetable as it's known.

The likely hood is if it was an old engine it already had a knackered pump/engine. It could also of been nothing more than a blocked filter. While I ran my engine on oil there was also no smoke, well no more than the usual amount on start up on a diesel. But definately nothing extra as a result of the oil for sure. It's been proven that the engine actually runs better on oil, smoother. You definately get less of the diesel clack and you should almost loose most of the sound altogether when on the motorway. Not to mention get a few extra miles per gallon too.

When I was running oil, once a month I ran a tenner of diesel. This just gets rid of any deposits in the fuel lines in the cold weather.

There are people with mega mileage motors who have run nothing but oil the entire time.

Edited by Devon
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm running my 21 year old land rover on %mix & since starting using it, the engine note is quieter & less smoke on start up or heavy load.

I have converted it to a 200tdi, used to be a 2.5TD till I blew it up :o

It will run smoother it's what the engine was originally designed to run on so it is doing what comes naturally.

The only thing you may harm if you run veggie is your diesel pump if it's a poor performer and maybe your fuel filter. other than that you should be fine.

The only difference with a proper conversion and dumping it in your tank is the conversion will warm the oil prior to using and flush a small amount of diesel through the injectors when you turn off the engine.

If your sensible with your mix in the cold weather you should have no issues whatsoever.

Saying that you run your vehicle on oil at your own risk, nobody elses.

i run my 200tdi defender on veg at a 50/50% mix been ok all winter ill try 70/30% in the summer

also have a look at this

http://www.dieselveg.com/

this morning i ran the landrover out of fuel(well done me :wallbash: ) so i went to the shop got a 2liter bottle of crisp and dry oil and back home so starry eyed and still asleep i put me oil in the landy and off to the petrol station i went and she worked a treat :thumbs: lol

i looked into running on oil and seems to be o.k except in extreme cold weather as mentioned, as the oil thickens and causes the fuel pump to work harder, but apparently mercs and BMW's work fine on oil as the fuel filter and pump is designed for it.

i just invested in an LPG van and its the Mutts Nuts.

Edited by askiro

i run on keraseen with oil mixed in...i seem to loose a bit of power but it cheaper than the pump :whistling: £17 for 25L

my mate runs the works tranni van on veggi oil and a bloke comes in our yard and runs his 4 track on veggi smells a bit but he says it runs like a dream and has done for 3 years :thumbs: