what makes a rabbiting dog

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMHO A dog that will mark occupied buries respect nets and ferts catch the bolters and retrieve to me. Also hunt up cover and persue when a rabbit lifts.

:thumbs:

A dog that will smash cover after chasing a rabbit and will work bunnies well on the lamp i.e. taking squaters and also never give up when they think a rabbit can't be caught!!

Just my opinion everyone is diffrent!! :drink:

thers rabbiting dogs and thers RABBITING dogs ... any dog can mark a warren but not every dog can mark a hole in a warren and thats where the rabbit is ... any dog can work with ferrets but not every dog can work as part of the team with the ferrets following them underground watching the way the ferret behaves so it knows they are on a bunny ... any dog can be taught not to touch nets ..... not every dog knows when to grab the rabbit cos its about to escape the net otherwise leave it alone not every dog will IMMEDIATELY leave a netted rabbit once you get there and get back to the warren to watch for more bolters ... not every dog can work a longnet correctly ..... not every dog developes that nack of always being in the right place at the right time .... any dog can be taught basic commands .... not every dog can be guided and positioned where you want them on a 100+ hole warren in complete silence just with hand signals or a click of the fingers ..... any dog can be taught to retrieve ... not every dog brings them back completely unharmed so that if you have a milky doe you can release her ...... these are just a few of the many many things that make a rabbiting dog .....

as i said there are rabbiting dogs and there are RABBITING dogs ............

_MG_0717-1.jpg

_MG_1581.jpg

thers rabbiting dogs and thers RABBITING dogs ... any dog can mark a warren but not every dog can mark a hole in a warren and thats where the rabbit is ... any dog can work with ferrets but not every dog can work as part of the team with the ferrets following them underground watching the way the ferret behaves so it knows they are on a bunny ... any dog can be taught not to touch nets ..... not every dog knows when to grab the rabbit cos its about to escape the net otherwise leave it alone not every dog will IMMEDIATELY leave a netted rabbit once you get there and get back to the warren to watch for more bolters ... not every dog can work a longnet correctly ..... not every dog developes that nack of always being in the right place at the right time .... any dog can be taught basic commands .... not every dog can be guided and positioned where you want them on a 100+ hole warren in complete silence just with hand signals or a click of the fingers ..... any dog can be taught to retrieve ... not every dog brings them back completely unharmed so that if you have a milky doe you can release her ...... these are just a few of the many many things that make a rabbiting dog .....

as i said there are rabbiting dogs and there are RABBITING dogs ............

_MG_0717-1.jpg

_MG_1581.jpg

SPOT ON

after rabbiting being for years and done it for money selling rabbs what makes a good rabbiting dog ,good mouth nose concentraiton, working out itself were he should be as all top class predators learn ,one you dont have to talk to much and one that knows when to turn the pace on and off on suitable land and gives you years of goood service good feet etc had a few over the years and hopefully produce more good all rounders tally ho

wouldnt want to let go a milky doe as well sheel produce, im out to exterminate not let go , maybe rehome but not off the land i pest control , a rabbiting dog must be qiuck of the mark and agile , no were to position .a good dog learns to be in the right spot most of the time. through practice and clever handling cheers

iam afraid ive just got a rabbiting dog ...and NOT A RABBITING DOG ....oh well i will make do with what ive got ..... :D:D

excelent snoop :laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh: your reply was better than mine. :D i think you will find most people only have rabbiting dogs. me included. of course there are always some hot shots that have the others. :whistling::laugh::laugh:

iam afraid ive just got a rabbiting dog ...and NOT A RABBITING DOG ....oh well i will make do with what ive got ..... :D:D

:laugh::laugh: your reply was better than mine. :D i think you will find most people only have rabbiting dogs. me included. of course there are always some hot shots that have the others. :whistling::laugh::laugh:

some people are happy with average others may not be and rather than being a hot shot perhaps they strive to produce the best they can so if they decide to have a litter some time in the future they can hand on heart say they are producing a good class of workers

:laugh::laugh::laugh: ... i wasnt having a dig ....iam just telling the truth ...thats an impressive hound that socks desribes .... :thumbs: my mutt retriving has even gone a bit rusty with mine he was ok in the early season but because ive been doing a bit on the bigger land... for the faster type off rabbit ...and me going to him because i dont want him carrying it back and another blighter jumping up in front off him ....he now thinks i got to go and fetch the rabbits too .... :rolleyes: ..not all of them but some ... :D anyway you cant have everthing :laugh::laugh:

after reading what socks looks for well i beg to differ as ive had several dogs over the last three decades i want mines to catch rabbits not in long net. but sometimes in purse nets especcaily in cover any rabbit that escapes stop it quicky fetch it back on to the next rabbit , catch rabbits were ever you take them ,and well work with ferrets ,when we do big bankings the dogs work along with ferrets following them or me its not hard to train a dog to rabbit but it is hard to train them to be spot on , go into nettles and cover ,for a catch , and virtualy the pace of a well bred grew , the one thing i like is a dog that honours the catch the minute you get there and they give you the catch or get off it if its abig beastie and let you do the nessecary , as for hand signals used to have dogs that worked to hand signals never done it for years i never caught realy any more than i did now , to me the most important thing is a well expiernced hunter or game harvester as these type of fellows get the best out of there chosen dogs all the best