German Shephards

Hello there. I have a chance of adopting a 6 month old pure bread German Shepard bitch. What i would like to no is do they make good gundogs, i no they are very intelligent dogs but how are they at retreiving, and obedience? :hmm: Cheers

Ive seen a Alsation /Grey that was used as a general lurcher and that could have easily been trained to be a hunt and fecth dog. She weren't much of a lamper though as she was a bit slow on the turn. GS can probably be trained to do anything as they are so veratile.

German Wire Haired pointers are good all rounders. Easy to train too.

Regards

Tel

iv got a gsd bitch she's 8 now,will retreve no probs.wont mark or brush though..she's a little hard mouthed but i trained to to bite as a young dog so i cant expect her to be gentle...very easy to train to do pritty much anything you like..sad thing is you get them how you want them and at 8 or 9 years the hips can give in..

Hello there. I have a chance of adopting a 6 month old pure bread German Shepard bitch. What i would like to no is do they make good gundogs, i no they are very intelligent dogs but how are they at retreiving, and obedience? :hmm: Cheers

Great dogs i have two, i wouldnt use them in the field for retreiving as they dont have a soft mouth, i have tried both my dogs 7 the birds came back in a mess, but as far as the obedience side, fantastic if you train them :thumbs:

321aeac4a6ada38fdb06db78094ccd9f.jpg

post-5621-1203275146.jpgI have Four GSD One dog three bitches and a GSD X Greyhound she will retreive live to hand two of the bitches will to one bitch and the dog have killed foxes and will not bring back alive,mine scent like hounds and will hunt through gorse cover,GSD are like all dogs it depends on what you want them for and how much time you give them,my Gsd lurcher is exellent with the gun and exels on the lamp.

The GSD and sheep we currently have 2500 sheep and I broke mine as puppies Two will actually work them if required.

My Lurcher has never shown an intrest in the sheep not botherd with the lambs

I train her on the lamp with a red filter as the rabbits around our place are ultra lamp shy once she clocked the lamp going on and lead being slipped means rabbit she will hunt straight down the beam,we are lambing currently and I put a pair of twins under a red light the bitch has never been used to this until the other night she Identified red light as rabbit ran straight into the shed when I opened the door and picked the lamb up from under the light brought it straight down the shed to me,had not marked it,so I introduced her to the lamb stood up she has not looked at one since

post-5621-1203275178_thumb.jpg

post-5621-1203275196.jpg