223 Varmint rifles

Since they deleted my thread at AirgunBBS, I could now use the advice of all those on this forum :-)

I am in the process of changing my Sako 75 22-250 Varmint for a 223. I had decided that I wanted a 1:9 twist barrel so I could shoot heavier bullets, but having had a look at a Howa with a thumbhole stock at around the price, I am prepared to put up with 1:12, unless I can get the right rifle in 1:9.

Thus far my options:

1. Remington 700, either LTR, SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical. SPS Tactical appears to be good, and also cheap, which is a bonus.

2. CZ 527 Laminate Varmint, looks useful but I don't like their trigger.

3. Savage 10FP. Not heard too much, most people seem to say accurate, but needs a better stock - thoughts?

4. Howa 1500 Thumbhole Varmint Supreme. Handles well, good trigger, but 1:12.

Think I've dismissed the Tikka option as a lot of people seem to have had trouble with them lately.

Many thanks for all advice.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently tikka quality has gone down the pan..my mate runs a rifle shop and they have had four come back with snapped bolt handle's its got so bad they are refusing to sell them unless the customer is desperate to own one..the cz centre fire triggers turn out quite well with some work..our 222 trigger is very good now.very crisp and no creep at all....

The Remingtons are good. Howa has a good reputation, but never used one. Don't know enough about the CZs to have an opinion since they're not seen very much here.

I use a Savage 12BVSS in .223 and love it. Most of my shooting is either prone or sitting, and I have a bipod mounted. The stock on the 12BVSS is great for shooting from those positions, a little heavy for carrying and shooting off-hand, but workable. I like the Savage so much I bought a second one, the model escapes me in the wee hours, in .308 for long range shooting on deer. The Savage Accu-trigger is the best I've used on a field rifle, you'd have to go to a target trigger to get any better IMO.

I'd not heard of the bolt handle issues. I had heard tales of tikka Varmints that were 5" group at 100 yards at best, one guy apparently swapped his Tikka for another, they both did, unsurprisingly he gave up with them and got a Remington...

I would suggest now is not the time to get a Tikka, although the Tactical still seems to be OK.

Since they deleted my thread at AirgunBBS, I could now use the advice of all those on this forum :-)

hi'Mr_Logic' why did they delete your thread off AirgunBBS

ive got Remington 700, SPS Tactical. varmint barrel (20") and an off the shelf Hogue Over-molded stock its a cracking rifle its got a 1in9 twist it dont like remmy 50 gr at all :thumbdown: but it loves federal Vshok 55 gr and federal power shok 55 gr :thumbs: plus you said its screwed cut

hope this helps W.D

hello

i am very supprised to hear there are problems with the tikka,s .i own one and must say its 100% never had a moments trouble .the gun was new and the trigger came to me set at about 4 pounds pull very hard ,the groups were quite large

but i adjusted this to 2 pounds and after arounds 200 rounds the groups are clover leaf at 100yds .i also have a sako 75 22.250 in varmint form and this is the dogs danglies ,ive had a remington 700 sps and could not wait to get rid of it

not a patch on sako in my eyes .

good luck with your choice t3

The newer tikka's are made to a price fact, but the t3 still shoots well, altough lighter made than the predecessor the m595, quality has gone slightly but that is due to cost's, front stud's are he only problem i've heard so far with this rifle, but the tikka tactical is having problem's shifting point of impact when bi-pods are fitted this is due largly to the light fore -end i think,

personally i think i'd stick with a sako mate, or go for the new 85 model, As deker say's this will be interesting, but it's all down to personal choice,

and only you can make the decission in the end. :thumbs: May the force be with you........ :laugh:

I am in the process of changing my Sako 75 22-250 Varmint for a 223. I had decided that I wanted a 1:9 twist barrel so I could shoot heavier bullets, but having had a look at a Howa with a thumbhole stock at around the price, I am prepared to put up with 1:12, unless I can get the right rifle in 1:9.

Thus far my options:

1. Remington 700, either LTR, SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical. SPS Tactical appears to be good, and also cheap, which is a bonus.

2. CZ 527 Laminate Varmint, looks useful but I don't like their trigger.

3. Savage 10FP. Not heard too much, most people seem to say accurate, but needs a better stock - thoughts?

4. Howa 1500 Thumbhole Varmint Supreme. Handles well, good trigger, but 1:12.

Think I've dismissed the Tikka option as a lot of people seem to have had trouble with them lately.

Many thanks for all advice.

Well fancy that I came to your defence and was also banned,fancy you being on here as well. bigrifle or DAZZLE

Mr logic

I have the cz 527 varmint .223 laminated and your right.The trigger is Shite....Untill you take the creep out adjust the pull weight and take out the over travel which is so easy i could even do it...The instuctions are in the cz website.seriously it is easy...

The trigger is now spot on and the rifle is shootin touching holes 1/2-3/4 5 rnds with factory load 64gn fed power shock..And loves hornady 40gr v-max..

This rifle is a keeper..

Rgs

Dwighet

Mr logic

I have the cz 527 varmint .223 laminated and your right.The trigger is Shite....Untill you take the creep out adjust the pull weight and take out the over travel which is so easy i could even do it...The instuctions are in the cz website.seriously it is easy...

The trigger is now spot on and the rifle is shootin touching holes 1/2-3/4 5 rnds with factory load 64gn fed power shock..And loves hornady 40gr v-max..

This rifle is a keeper..

Rgs

Dwighet

Bugger, I'd pretty much eliminated the CZ :) Their barrels are usually very good. Are we talking so easy that if I get one you can drop me a PM with either the instructions or a link to them? ;)

What is a real shame in this country is that you don't get (or I haven't found) any seriously big shops that have all these guns in stock. I would dearly love to hold each one, try the trigger and narrow them down in a shopping session, but I can't find anywhere like that :(

Of all of them, I don't think I have heard anyone say a bad word on the Savage, so methinks I need to head to Garlands and have a look at one at some point.

As for Sako quality vs. all of these, I know... :( I want another Sako but my bank balance doesn't, and I have other things I should buy ahead of a rifle. That said, the Sportsman had a Sako 75 S/C laminate varmint stainless for £1036, and if they still do when I get my ticket back I think I will be powerless to resist...

I think assuming it's not that Sako, probably any of the others except Tikka will do. Just a question of the price at the time and availability. Cheers for the posts all..

Dazzle - I know what you mean, AirgunBBS seems to have a distinctly fascist feel to it - i.e. censorship without notification, a ruling clique etc. Sod that for a game of soldiers! And thanks for your defence BTW :)

Welshdragon - not a clue why it was deleted, have PMed Baz but he didn't reply, and I asked on another thread too, nobody said. Feels like someone being punitive to me :angry: Thanks for putting your info on here as well.

how can tikkas be grouping at 5 inch it states on the site they have to do a 1inch group at 100 yards before there let out of the factory if i get 1 it will be shot it and made sure it shoots straight [bANNED TEXT] going to be screw cut as too many peeps get problems when getting there screwcut before using it and then have the rigmarole of thinking is it the silencer barrel or scope if it shoots straight before screwcut its the mod or crowning or where been screwcut