I want to smoke few fish this year so started googling and came across Webers being mentioned a lot. There’s one local 20 quid so for that price worth a go. Never been a barbecue guy but they seem versatile things. Now I am going to have figure out all this charcoal and wood chips lark :) any tips welcome 

• Like 1

Check out the"BBQ Smoker" thread in  General Talk on page 3 at the moment Terry. Those are the boys to ask mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Borr said:

Weber kettle is a BBQ not a smoker as such , for fish you'd want a proper smoker , so Weber would be a smokey mountain or smoke firebox.

I been watching videos where they smoke brisket and all sorts. As you say not a smoker as such though 

The Weber kettle can smoke anything and be a BBQ. I used to butterfly chickens and smoke them for about 40 min with just burnt down wood coals, put the lid on and the fat would keep it smoking. I also used mine as a fire pit at parties and while they look a bit flimsy I had mine for about 8 years and it never burnt through.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

The Weber kettle can smoke anything and be a BBQ. I used to butterfly chickens and smoke them for about 40 min with just burnt down wood coals, put the lid on and the fat would keep it smoking. I also used mine as a fire pit at parties and while they look a bit flimsy I had mine for about 8 years and it never burnt through.

Well I'd not want to do a 13 HR cook brisket on a Weber , did do two cracking rainbows on my weber but it had all but gone out, and they were left on ages in foil. I also used mine as a fire pit. Not knocking them but 40mins won't smoke a lot of traditional low and slow cuts like ribs , briskets, etc.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Borr said:

Well I'd not want to do a 13 HR cook brisket on a Weber , did do two cracking rainbows on my weber but it had all but gone out, and they were left on ages in foil. I also used mine as a fire pit. Not knocking them but 40mins won't smoke a lot of traditional low and slow cuts like ribs , briskets, etc.

Out of interest Borr what would be the problem with a 13 hour cook ? Not that I have any thing that ambitious in mind. I just want smoke couple mullet lol 

2 hours ago, terryd said:

Out of interest Borr what would be the problem with a 13 hour cook ? Not that I have any thing that ambitious in mind. I just want smoke couple mullet lol 

Nothing impossible, but depending on how good you can control temp , probably need to refuel it during cooking , which would mean taking meats off getting charcoal going bring it back to temp then put meat back on . Plus you're likely to lose a fair bit of heat being a thin metal ball , plus it doesn't leave loads of room as you'll want heat to be indirect, so Weber use guards so you have a ring of coals and a small space in the middle , you might want water under meat or fish . I use mine indirectly but do it half and half putting coals at the back and meat at the front , again this leaves less room for coals. It's hard work compared to purpose built smokers was all I was saying.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Borr said:

I only used it for chicken and worked perfectly and a Maori mate smoked eel on it, I think he just put foil under the eel. The chicken was sort of between roasted and smoked.

• Like 1

These are pretty good I’ve had mine a while I believe Kanny has one and socks who used to be on here has one these are pellet smokers, although I still like the charcoal ones before my pit boss I had a ProQ smoker they are the bullet type smokers they look like R2D2 lol.

edited to say the ProQ are perfect for smoking fish it has different levels that come apart or you can hang on hook's I tried to put a link up but wouldn’t work for some reason.

UK.PITBOSS-GRILLS.COM

Pit Boss Grills UK

IMG_1480.jpeg.8fcaa53a28abd8e3b402529941bff7b0.jpeg

Edited by FLATTOP
  • Like 2