The birds are all moving forward now. Went in the bird room this morning to this flashy pied hen on with building. A knew she would be building due to seeing the cock bird copping off with her few days ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Another hen sat tight on 6 eggs pied the cock birds a none visual bird that's a carrier of white. I've already got young on from this pairing that's under a foster 5 chicks at 4 days old. 

20240418_145834.jpg

Looking good for you mate 

12 hours ago, belucky said:

Looking good for you mate 

It's been a good start mate thanks for comment. I've 26 young canaries on at moment all ready to fledge. The nest pan there in have been moved to the bottom of the cages , and now the new clean nest pan are in place.

To which the parents are already building their second nest. So hopefully in the next few days there will be the second round of eggs starting.

I've a good number of goldfinches on with laying so will move some eggs over for the canaries to sit now that I know which canaries will be good feeders mates. 

I've a couple of older pair canaries which I've used before. But a like to let the young canaries have a first round. That's just because a don't like to put goldfinch eggs under a young birds that's not sat or raised any young.

Nothing worse than a young cock bird kicking eggs out or eating them. Or say the hen sitting the eggs then when young hatch she picks them up and throws them out of the nest. 

Your right there mate I have had a good few clear eggs I got one hen on 5 eggs due tomorrow I had a nest of 4 eggs 3 dead in the shells so she's rearing one chick I should of chucked it really butt didn't have anything to putt it under butt that's birds for you all the best for the breeding season mate 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jimmy boy said:

Your right there mate I have had a good few clear eggs I got one hen on 5 eggs due tomorrow I had a nest of 4 eggs 3 dead in the shells so she's rearing one chick I should of chucked it really butt didn't have anything to putt it under butt that's birds for you all the best for the breeding season mate 

It's a nightmare mate. I've thrown loads of eggs away from second rounds. A feel shit throwing them away. But a don't want the canary eggs. No doubt all will of been okay too. Because first rounds I've been hitting 5s & 4s. I've got a good few numbers of chicks that are coming upto 14 days old. I always keep a few back for myself. For following season. But I always give the young birds a first round of canary eggs before putting the goldys under. 

11 hours ago, jimmy boy said:

All the best for the rest of the breeding season mate 

Same to you mate. I've been using that grog this season in the eggfood. To be fair jimmy its work wonders on mortalities in nest. It's them first few days upto a week old that you normally lose young. Something to do with the shite in the nest. And if it gets onto the young can start some nasty shit in the young. So the grog stops all that. Don't ask me how but it works. Lol

8 hours ago, jimmy boy said:

Where will I get that grog from mate cheers Jimmy 

See this man jimmy. He's started doing abit of bird gear. He's a koi man but goes over continent and seen there was some money to be made in the bird gear. So much of the for the koi & birds are in the same areas in Belgium. Plus He's over in China and they do alot of the bird products too drinkers feeders much more cages. Have a look He's not bad on price either. 

Screenshot_20240428_041140_Chrome~2.jpg

2 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

See this man jimmy. He's started doing abit of bird gear. He's a koi man but goes over continent and seen there was some money to be made in the bird gear. So much of the for the koi & birds are in the same areas in Belgium. Plus He's over in China and they do alot of the bird products too drinkers feeders much more cages. Have a look He's not bad on price either. 

Screenshot_20240428_041140_Chrome~2.jpg

Is it an expensive hobby mate. Though the costs must be irrelevant to the buzz you must get keeping and breeding birds.

6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Is it an expensive hobby mate. Though the costs must be irrelevant to the buzz you must get keeping and breeding birds.

Cheaper than keeping a horse 😆 🤣 That's what a keep telling the miss. Like having a second mortgage keeping a horse. True it's the buzz a get mate. I've just woken up this morning to a round of four goldfinch chicks. It's all moving now in the birdroom. I've loads that have fledge already. I've another brown goldfinch hen that's gone down on three eggs. She's a carrier of chev her mother was a brown chev. So hopefully get some brown chev from her. I've put her to a none visual pied a bred last year. 

20240426_064921~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1