Cocker/beagle x russell

A good mate sent 1 off these up to me for 6 months to work alongside my russell as I flushed alot off roe etc.

She came right into her own flushing and marking fox to ground. Would travel any cover.

I was wondering does anyone keep or breed this type ? 

11 hours ago, johnrussell84 said:

A good mate sent 1 off these up to me for 6 months to work alongside my russell as I flushed alot off roe etc.

She came right into her own flushing and marking fox to ground. Would travel any cover.

I was wondering does anyone keep or breed this type ? 

Dog on the left is bred that way. He's the best I've got he will smash through anything and screams his head off.

Sam

20240308_162443.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, johnrussell84 said:

Right strong looking him.

I don't have any photos off her now , she looked more spaniel but very similar would smash through any cover.

What size is he ? 

Not sure pal I'll measure him tts tomorrow for ya. 

Sam

My cousin keeps and works this cross and swears by them as bushing dogs far better than terriers he has kept in the past for the same task. Last time i spoke to him he said he had bred a couple of litters of these a couple of year's back and by the pics i have seen of them they seem to breed to a type.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aled said:

tatsblister: That dog looks a cracker, could probably join the beating line or down on the marsh wildfowling. 

I'd steer clear of beagle crosses for beating and retrieving birds mate. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, day and night walker said:

Can those types catch much in bramble brier ect or are they bred more for work rate?

They'll catch em but more flushers and finders. Good ones will face any cover and have good voices. I don't like spaniels as they're mute and too giddy. They smash through cover with pace when there's fu*k all there. Not for me

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Aled said:

tatsblister: That dog looks a cracker, could probably join the beating line or down on the marsh wildfowling. 

From what I have heard from my cousin I believe the dog in the pic has thrown more like the cocker in it's traits and like sambo123 says I would agree with him considering if this cross had thrown to the beagle . As a cross for the beating line I would avoid beagle blood and would prefer the spaniel terrier crosses tbh. 

• Like 1

Well guys hearing your responses I've learnt something new which is always a good thing. Shows that looks can be deceiving! So presume that beagles are no good for beating and useless at retrieving? Too headstrong, too hard mouthed? Cheers. Aled 

• Like 1