HH x goldie

On 22/03/2024 at 09:02, Elchapo said:

Know acouple lads been hit by reds , problem is with reds is there not as forgiving as harris hawks so some lads go from a Harris to a red and end up getting footed , harris hawk are very forgiving around there weight , red tails arnt , not saying that's the case with your mate tho , sometimes even experienced falconers get tagged by them, old guy I know got more scars on his arms and face of birds than he has hairs lol 

Remember ferreting on a field meet up in the Dales and a lad who was flying a red tail and couldn't wait till i dug a rabbit out of a shallow warren i had one of my ferrets in and took a silver hob i had out of his box a ferret that had recently bolted a small vixen out of a drain on the golf course near me and the vixen must have snapped at him as from then on he needed to be handled a bit more carefully as a sudden grab for him could result in a nip . This lad with the redtail did get a nip off him as i heard him shout out then at the same time the redtail that was on his fist pecked him on the lip causing it to bleed quite a bit as you  can imagine the air was blue made worse by me in stitches of laughter.

• Like 1

I like redtails flown lots of them. My mate has a male HH x Goldie its a nice bird but its been hard work. I may get one but most I've seen have imprint traits, the breeders are all about the money these days and like to pull them to get another clutch hence most get imprinted in some way or another. A true pr one would be awesome.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Moorman 1 said:

I like redtails flown lots of them. My mate has a male HH x Goldie its a nice bird but its been hard work. I may get one but most I've seen have imprint traits, the breeders are all about the money these days and like to pull them to get another clutch hence most get imprinted in some way or another. A true pr one would be awesome.

Is noisy mate. Reason I asked years ago the imprinted Harris hawk's I used to see all tended to be noisey. I remember a trip up to Scotland from South Yorkshire and a lad had one in the same vehicle in its box and it hardly stopped the whole of the journey that did make the journey seem like torture. 

32 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Is noisy mate. Reason I asked years ago the imprinted Harris hawk's I used to see all tended to be noisey. I remember a trip up to Scotland from South Yorkshire and a lad had one in the same vehicle in its box and it hardly stopped the whole of the journey that did make the journey seem like torture. 

It's not just the noise its the aggression etc a lot of the harris's even passage birds are vocal and do imprint to some degree. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

It's not just the noise its the aggression etc a lot of the harris's even passage birds are vocal and do imprint to some degree. 

My first harris used to do this low whistle sound when ever on the fist lol like it was happy whistling lol but they live in packs in the wild and are very vocal like you say so it's part and parcel recon that's why some become vocal at flying weigh. My mate Carl's got and imprint harris hawk and an imprint male goldie so hopefully I'm going try beg one off him if he does them , wouldn't buy 1 off anyone else because like you say the breeders are all about the money so you could end up with some think a little imprinted and a male goldie harris with aggressive traits don't sound too much like fun lol 

• Like 1

Yes as George found out with his female, lol.

If your mate breeds them let me know so long as they're 100% parent reared!

9 hours ago, Elchapo said:

My first harris used to do this low whistle sound when ever on the fist lol like it was happy whistling lol but they live in packs in the wild and are very vocal like you say so it's part and parcel recon that's why some become vocal at flying weigh. My mate Carl's got and imprint harris hawk and an imprint male goldie so hopefully I'm going try beg one off him if he does them , wouldn't buy 1 off anyone else because like you say the breeders are all about the money so you could end up with some think a little imprinted and a male goldie harris with aggressive traits don't sound too much like fun lol 

• 2 weeks later...