Think I've got a Bully with the gapes, sat panting on the perch and seems a bit off.

I've found an old post on here where someone suggested Tylan which is a respiratory medication used for racing pigeons. Seems difficult to get a hold of as it's only available on a prescription.

Anyone tried this?

Says it's for respiratory problems in cage birds. 

Anyone know if it would do the trick?

Thanks

Sam

Screenshot_20240207_134605_Chrome.jpg

45 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Hat about Flubenvet? they use it for pheasants etc to treat the same thing👍

That's gape worms in pheasants, bullies get a respiratory problem.

Could be  Aspergillosis, a fungal infection that effects the respiratory tract, if it is,  it would need to be treated with anti fungal medication. 

A brief outline of what it is.

Aspergillosis disease is caused by the fungus Aspergillus, and its spores are what cause respiratory problems in birds.
The fungal spores can be present in contaminated food, water, nest boxes, incubators, other nesting material, and unventilated areas.
However, birds can also catch the infection from the environment.

Fungal infection is common in birds with vitamin A deficiency, malnutrition, stress and in various other weakened states.
The fungal spores enter the bird’s lungs and are especially infectious when the bird’s immunity is low.

I think they reckon bullies eating too much hemp can give them gapes too?

I've only had 1 pair of bullies and got rid because they were a pain in the arse so not too experienced but I've seen a bit about them over the years.

I'll give the thing that I originally posted a go as it seems to be a medication specifically for finches with respiratory problems. 

The bird is eating and drinking fine but seems a bit puffed up and not as sharp as the other bullies. 

I thought it might have been coccidiosis (going light) or Trichomoniasis (fat finch disease) but the bird has been treated for both and has kind of perked up but still isn't as it should be as when it is perched it seems to be breathing heavy so maybe it's the 'gapes' as this seems to be common in Bullfinches. 

Cheers

Sam

On 07/02/2024 at 13:50, sambo123 said:

Think I've got a Bully with the gapes, sat panting on the perch and seems a bit off.

I've found an old post on here where someone suggested Tylan which is a respiratory medication used for racing pigeons. Seems difficult to get a hold of as it's only available on a prescription.

Anyone tried this?

Says it's for respiratory problems in cage birds. 

Anyone know if it would do the trick?

Thanks

Sam

Screenshot_20240207_134605_Chrome.jpg

I've got this it's great stuff. 👍 

I've this one aswel both can be given together. A give this to the parents a couple of weeks before breeding. Plus I've the grog too from same company that's great for black spot. You can't go far wrong with these products no fatalities at all atb 

Screenshot_20240209_112144_Google~2.jpg