Well caught another male this morning from around my birdroom. Big male this not seen a male like this for a long time. I'm thinking he's come from over the back fields off the allotments from around the chicken houses. Just glad I've knocked him off my worry list around my birdroom and aviary.

20240104_110613~2.jpg

• Like 6

On 09/01/2024 at 05:25, diggermad said:

Yeah mate if caught right there's no way it's getting out of a fenn 

Few years back digger mate a was Green on how to set a Fenn right ie peg it down. Ended up catching a big adult mid way by the tail. To cut the story short the b*****d ran under decking pulling the trap off using the decking to its advantage. Ended up with bottom end of its tail. " A was shocked how it's tail end just came off so easy " , very clever strategy how it's developed to do that. Anyway few months later a caught the same adult in a live trap and shot the b*****d. Lol. That rat had caused me some shit.  That one killed my misses yellow female karkariki type parrot that she'd hand reared love bird she was. She must of gone down to see what it was or claimed onto perch and pulled her off , then dragged her down a hole in the concrete blocks I've got down. The concrete blocks I used are from the edging of the tracks that hides the cables away.  A flipped them over the other way then set the avairy on top. Now I've put flags in so they can't get in. Them big council flags that way a tone lol. Back was broke that day 😆 plus filled in the sides of the blocks  with concrete. All that to keep them little b*****ds out. I've trouble with mice now. I've got a cannibal mouse that keeps eating the ones off the traps. Im just hoping he doesn't get any of my goldfinches.. Was reading up this time of year mice do for the energy intake. 

I know its a continues battle when you keep birds mate to keep the vermin down . I remember some years ago when i cleared my mates sheds out after he had passed away on his allotment even though all his birds had gone it was like an horror film when i opened the door of his main shed with mice all over another mate came with some pink poisen blocks he had got off a lad who was a pest controller a week later not one mouse was to be seen in the sheds . I think its the only time i would use poisen only if their was no risk to dogs or anything else picking it up.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I know its a continues battle when you keep birds mate to keep the vermin down . I remember some years ago when i cleared my mates sheds out after he had passed away on his allotment even though all his birds had gone it was like an horror film when i opened the door of his main shed with mice all over another mate came with some pink poisen blocks he had got off a lad who was a pest controller a week later not one mouse was to be seen in the sheds . I think its the only time i would use poisen only if their was no risk to dogs or anything else picking it up.

You said it there mate risk with dogs. A can't put owt down poison wise. A few dogs local fell ill when game keepers on game bird farm were putting poison down inside rabbits to rid the foxes. But a few local spaniels picked them up. One died other came through after vet treatment. You've to be careful with poison not something a want around with dogs. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...