Going Away Shots - Point of Aim ?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Just been out with the Dogs and, like ye do, seeing a lot of the backs of them as they trot along in front, having their sniffs about. Got me to thinking; Were would one place the shot on a 'Going Away' target?

I mean; Fox standing or coming in head on? Two eyes and the white triangle of the chest present text book aiming points. Fox side ways on? There's the engine room and head. A walking target gallery. But fox going away from ye? As in, he's shyed at something and turned tail. Where do ye go for?

All my Dogs showed me was their bums and backs. Now, obviously, we can't go round shooting things up their arses. (I'd have thought not, anyway). But a shot at 'The Back' seems a bit haphazzard too. Ye'd have to Really pick the mark - according to conditions - to get that round passing through at the right angle to connect with the engine, surely?

Head shot? Considering only the top 1/4 or less of the back of the head tends to show? I don't think I'd even consider trying for that on a live, moving target.

So what is the accepted drill - if there is one? What's your take on all this, please?

IF the fox is at a slightly lower point than your shooting fome aim for the base of the neck at the back, if level i take no shot but give a whistle or shout, 90% of the time the fox will turn to see whats going on, at least to get a partly side-on shot......... :thumbs:

Hello Ditch shitter

I once had the pleasure of talking to a jeweller from Galveston, over a mexican meal and talk of wetbacks and bobtails; his take on your query is to use a Texas Heart shot.

You must have plenty of caliber for this shot as it entails using the ring piece as your aiming point. The round enters soft tissue continues through soft tissue all its way into the chest cavity where it does terminal and instant damage to all the vitals, lungs and heart. High shots disengage the spine, low shots reach deeper into the chest cavity.

I cannot claim to have used it on anything large, squirrels and .22 rimfire work fine, but so it does in any pose.

I am sure it is an American abberation and your other replyer is much more considerate.

Only our American cousins have the legal right to shoot a fleeing felon so perhaps we should stick to the surmise that you will get him tomorrow.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Hmm. Thanks for that, lads. All things considered then, I think I'll just carry on much as I do; Sticking to the most reliably lethal and usual shots.

You're not to know this, Richard, but my actual gun is a bit of a pig ~ and that's putting it mildly. Thr trigger's about as heavy as the damn rifle: And that's heavy! Throw in the fact that 100% of my shooting is done by walking around looking for the quarry. I thus take my shots off fence posts and trees and such. I haven't the luxury of a bi pod or proper rest. All this, as ye might imagine, meaning I need to be sure of my shot, then have all the time in the world to fight it out with that hatefull trigger.

What I'm saying is; I have quite enough going on as I fire, without needing to be worrying about wether I'm high or low enough for this particular incident and then trying to hit what ever mark I might have hastilly decided to go for at a rather excitable moment.

As for shooting anything up the behind? Sounds viable. Just doesn't sit right with me.

I think I'll give the bugger best and look out for him next time :yes:

Thanks, lads.

DS

I think Richard G put it quite well but I also agree with you....

As for shooting anything up the behind? Sounds viable. Just doesn't sit right with me.

I suspect though that virtually any centrefire placed as suggested would have more than enough power to cause considerable damage and the instant demise of the victim!

Cheers

Deker

Guest The Big Fish

Depends on what calibre you are using ditch, ive shot plenty of foxes up the arse, that was the only oppurtunity i had, they were running cause they knew they was in the shit :laugh: Anyway, always used a 22 centerfire for this task, always took them apart :thumbs: I would have prefered to use a hellfire missile and litterally blown them up, but my liscence stipulated, "no TNT" :laugh:

Cant believe im reading this -People advocating the 'going away shot 'with a rifle .Very amateur in my veiw .A shot should not be taken unless you are 100 % sure of killing your target .Too many variables in this to produce a wounded animal .I can honestly say ive never shot anything 'up the arse 'in all the years ive shot with a rifle . :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Cant believe im reading this -People advocating the 'going away shot 'with a rifle .Very amateur in my veiw .A shot should not be taken unless you are 100 % sure of killing your target .Too many variables in this to produce a wounded animal .I can honestly say ive never shot anything 'up the arse 'in all the years ive shot with a rifle . :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Common sense FD. I've never taken anything up the arse in my life!!!!!!!!!! :icon_eek: It's just plain wrong...... :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Certainly wouldn't advocate shooting things up the a*se as a matter of course, but saying that, I was out with a mate of mine a few weeks ago.

Shot at a fox broadside on, thought I'd hit him, but he ran. we followed him and he went flat in some young rape. Got out of the truck and walked up the side of the beam, charlie got up and ran straight away from us, as I thought he was wounded, up with the rifle and fired. He went down instantly, dead when we got to him. There was no exit wound, I can only assume that the bullet did sufficient damage as it went in to stop him.

Makes sense, a fox isnt that big, and 1800 ft/lb in an animal that size is going to impart severe shock. Found that the first bullet had skimmed across his chest, leaving a welt, ike a whipmark right across, so seems unlikely that this contributed to his demise.

Rifle was a BSA .243 with federal premium 70gn nosler ballistic tips.

All the best, James

i have had to take 2 going away shots in the last year(theres a tw*t on the next door estate that shoots at foxes miles away) both were lampshy foxes that i'd seen time and time again............so knowing where the first would be would be i set myself up with a filter and about when i expected them to be about flicked the lamp over.....it started running off so performed the afforementioned texas heartshot aiming right at the ring............i had discussed this with a VERY experienced deer man and he said it was a theoretically viable shot. It crucified it, frome the liver foreward was out of its chest and its front leg smashed, using 50gr nosler.

second instance did not go quite as well as the bullet went in about right but came out the side just in front of the rear leg breaking the hip, and doing little other damage.......

In both cases i had my fox/deer tracking dog with me(pointerxgreyhound) who is more than capable of dealing with fresh unwounded foxes and deer let alone wounded quarry! and can trail quite well as well, and is generally on the seen before the animal gets back up!!

both of these shot were under 100 yards

i what not advocate these sorts of shots unless you had something to back them up ie said good dog.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
second instance did not go quite as well as the bullet went in about right but came out the side just in front of the rear leg breaking the hip, and doing little other damage.......

:icon_eek: Oh god, that's ghastly. And I do believe Dicky has there exposed the nigger in the wood pile for us. Not as fool proof as it may seem over a beer and a key board then :no:

Top marks to Dicky then for having a capable Dog in tow. But how many of us who might ever feel the compulsion to risk such a shot even keep such a Dog?

No. I'm glad that that example has given us a solid arguement against such an idea. And I, for one, shall most certainly carry on as before; Tipping my cap to the crafty buggers and swearing I'll get them next time - with a properly placed shot.

Cheers, all. Most interesting and enlightening Thread I'd hope many may take from :good: