Spotted a large charm of finches this morning on a set aside they must have been over a hundred when in flight but I did not get close enough to recognise what type they were. Anyone have any ideas what they could have been. I am going to the same area in the morning with the binoculars to try and I'D them. 

Just now, tatsblisters said:

Spotted a large charm of finches this morning on a set aside they must have been over a hundred when in flight but I did not get close enough to recognise what type they were. Anyone have any ideas what they could have been. I am going to the same area in the morning with the binoculars to try and I'D them. 

Gold finch perhaps, getting big flocks of 40 maybe 50 on the feeders. 

26 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

No linnets on our feeders ever and we get allsorts. Bullfinch don't come on either, been on dead nettles behind.

It bugs the shit out of me when I see a charm of finches and I can't tell what they are lol

Same here mate. I saw the same charms last year in the same area but next day when I had my binoculars on me they had moved on. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Do many of you lads who put out bird feeders get any linnets on them. I saw two charms of these linnets this morning with well over 50 in each one it was nice to see. 

No Linnets here in Devon. Get loads of Goldfinches and Greenfinches with a few Siskin's emptying to large feeders of sunflower heart then they go on the niger seed.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1