Got this wasp stinger and some spare bands from wasp plus some 8mm ammo from balls of steel and just tried the 18/12 .55 bsb white at short range ( about 6m) in the yard and it wouldn’t penetrate a soup tin , it put a dint in it but that was it . Tried snipersling green 18/12 .60 and that did go through but like the bsb white I had to pull back to my ear rather than my mouth like I’ve done with my other one with heavier bands . What tapers are people using with 8mm and lighter bands for hunting before I order a template and start making my own . Also what do you use for tying pouches , the bands I’ve got are tied with some kind of thread but I’ve seen people using latex aswell 

IMG_1697.jpeg

If you can draw them back too far shorten them, have you measured your draw length? I've tried .65 bsb over the chrono and from memory it was shite. I much prefer something around .8 and 11mm steel for hunting.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oxo said:

If you can draw them back too far shorten them, have you measured your draw length? I've tried .65 bsb over the chrono and from memory it was shite. I much prefer something around .8 and 11mm steel for hunting.

Just measured my draw length at 29in . I  just put the ready made bands in to try   . I tried some .65 bsb white and .60 snipersling yellow and the yellow seemed similar to the green power wise and only needed pulling to my mouth but still an easy draw . The bsb .65 seemed to be similar power to the lighter snipersling just an heavier draw so I took it back off . My other catty has .82 green gzk but I’ve got some .70 snipersling green aswell . Been using 9.5mm in that one but I’m going to get an 8mm mould to do some leads 

Try cutting them back to 6in, see if that helps. 8mm lead will weigh about the same as your 9.5 steel. You a good enough shot to hit a pigeon or squirrel in the head? 8mm won't do the job otherwise.

Take care

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, oxo said:

Try cutting them back to 6in, see if that helps. 8mm lead will weigh about the same as your 9.5 steel. You a good enough shot to hit a pigeon or squirrel in the head? 8mm won't do the job otherwise.

Take care

I’ll have a go a cutting them down , I’m assuming from the pouch end rather than the forks . Might aswell forget the 8mm lead then or get a 10mm mould , I did have a 12mm mould but must have either lent it someone or forgot it last time I moved . Not a good enough shot yet to do it consistently so I won’t be doing it till I can but I’m going to practice most days 

On 03/12/2023 at 15:14, booboy2 said:

you have to find your active length you can't just guess band length bud 🎯👊👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 they bands and that steel size should be penetrating the can with ease 🎯👍

I know , I’m going to cut a few down to different lengths when I get home later on . I’ve just ordered some stuff for cutting my own band's and I’ve gone for one of the adjustable ruler type ones so I can do different tapers rather than one of the templates that let you do a few of one size at once . The lighter .55 bsb ones I’ve got go through drinks cans no problem but not the thicker soup tins so I’ll cut them down first . The .60 snipersling green and yellow will penetrate soup tins though . 

Talking of bands has anyone had bands off a chap on ebay called Mathewjarro. I got some red. 80 off him and the longevity on these bands is better than any other bands I have had I have still got the same set on since June and shoot at least 20 shots most days but I can't seem to find the sellar on ebay anymore. 

14 hours ago, neil r said:

I know , I’m going to cut a few down to different lengths when I get home later on . I’ve just ordered some stuff for cutting my own band's and I’ve gone for one of the adjustable ruler type ones so I can do different tapers rather than one of the templates that let you do a few of one size at once . The lighter .55 bsb ones I’ve got go through drinks cans no problem but not the thicker soup tins so I’ll cut them down first . The .60 snipersling green and yellow will penetrate soup tins though . 

hi bud listen if you don't know how to work out your active length just hold a measuring tape in your catty hand grab the end of the tape and holding the tape out like it was your catty pull the end of the tape to your anchor point like it was your your pouch lock the tape or get someone to take a note of the length in mm and divide that by 5 and that is your active band length 🎯👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍 for example my active band length is 170mm (which is 870mm ÷5 ) but I run all my bandsets at 180mm 10mm longer  because that way there never maxed out and I and most of my customers get 3 or 4 times the band life out of sets cause after a couple hundred shots you can drop the active 5-10mm get another few hundred shots 😉  then finally max them out and if you get a hundred shots out them then your getting the best out your elastic 👊🎯👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, booboy2 said:

hi bud listen if you don't know how to work out your active length just hold a measuring tape in your catty hand grab the end of the tape and holding the tape out like it was your catty pull the end of the tape to your anchor point like it was your your pouch lock the tape or get someone to take a note of the length in mm and divide that by 5 and that is your active band length 🎯👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍 for example my active band length is 170mm (which is 870mm ÷5 ) but I run all my bandsets at 180mm 10mm longer  because that way there never maxed out and I and most of my customers get 3 or 4 times the band life out of sets cause after a couple hundred shots you can drop the active 5-10mm get another few hundred shots 😉  then finally max them out and if you get a hundred shots out them then your getting the best out your elastic 👊🎯👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  

Thanks for that . My draw length to the corner of my mouth is 736.6 so it works out at 147.4 and +10 mm to make 157.4 will be 6.19 inch or bang on 6 if I do +5mm . The stuff I’ve ordered won’t be here for a couple of weeks but I’ve got plenty of sets I can cut down till it gets here .

11 hours ago, oxo said:

Had some kcb .8 off him, liked the band but the life wasn't anything special. He has gone from ebay. Did you get red shot? I have a roll here and don't rate it.

What thickness is the red shot you have ? Is it 1.1?