That time of year again

On 04/11/2023 at 19:04, paulus said:

I like to set myself a challenge each winter, This years challenge is to catch a Perch 4lb or over on the local Canal using a centrepin and bobber float. I have made a couple of Bobbers the one in the picture is for Lobworms and i have another double the size for small live baits, This will be a very hard challenge as in over 50 years of fishing the local canals the biggest perch i have managed was just over 2 1/2lb a couple of years ago, Knowing my luck i will be catching Zander, Bream and Carp Lol

Do any of you lot set yourselves challenges? 

370238042_1714570812397504_916877147937656245_n.jpg

370199804_3821203658168551_4462732696991467835_n.jpg

Just needs to grow a bit lol

IMG_4277.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 10/11/2023 at 18:15, jok said:

Well Paulus, as you very well know, there are certainly 2 stretches of canal, very close to you, that produce very big zander. One a longish tunnel near Measham and the other a boatyard very close to you. I wonder if you remember Mr Frisby owning some land in Dadlington. Just thinking out loud . Jok.

399903339_641057541529609_2610769760000493124_n.jpg

Yes that’s one of them. Following this topic not only on here but locally, has electro fishing decimated the population of Zander? I am not a coarse fisherman but bump into quite a few who are. They’ve told me tales of very big fish being ‘chucked’ over the hedge. Equally, one of my friends has said how hard it is to get beyond the perch and pike to tempt the zander. There are one or two on here living on boats around our area. Wonder how they are doing? As has been said before, by me, anyone lucky enough to get a reasonable fish and wishing to let me have it would be welcome to a gourmet dinner. I have been waiting for over 12 years for the aforementioned. Jok.

12 minutes ago, jok said:

Yes that’s one of them. Following this topic not only on here but locally, has electro fishing decimated the population of Zander? I am not a coarse fisherman but bump into quite a few who are. They’ve told me tales of very big fish being ‘chucked’ over the hedge. Equally, one of my friends has said how hard it is to get beyond the perch and pike to tempt the zander. There are one or two on here living on boats around our area. Wonder how they are doing? As has been said before, by me, anyone lucky enough to get a reasonable fish and wishing to let me have it would be welcome to a gourmet dinner. I have been waiting for over 12 years for the aforementioned. Jok.

The last zander of any size i caught was a fish of around 8LB but that was a couple of years ago now, I am not specifically fishing for them at the minute but fishing on Lob worms there is always the possibility of hooking one, I had a couple about 3LB each last year from a clay pit whilst fishing lobs for perch. As for the electrofishing, Its being done on a regular basis, The fish were being sold at Billingsgate but not sure if that is still happening. 

On 14/11/2023 at 08:21, jok said:

Plonker aren’t I. Environment Agency. Jok.

No its the Canal and River Trust that pay MEM contractors £800 a day to electro fish the Ashby Canal. They do this based on two things, a Thesis written years ago by a post graduate that in my view is a crock of shit, Plus they were given a large amount of money a few years for an SSSI that is just past Market Bosworth and runs for roughly 1/4 of a mile. This is an SSSI for  flora and fauna so cock all to do with Zander, 

By the way i have spent the day trying to get you a zander on the lure rod, several perch but sadly no zander Lol.