That time of year again

I like to set myself a challenge each winter, This years challenge is to catch a Perch 4lb or over on the local Canal using a centrepin and bobber float. I have made a couple of Bobbers the one in the picture is for Lobworms and i have another double the size for small live baits, This will be a very hard challenge as in over 50 years of fishing the local canals the biggest perch i have managed was just over 2 1/2lb a couple of years ago, Knowing my luck i will be catching Zander, Bream and Carp Lol

Do any of you lot set yourselves challenges? 

370238042_1714570812397504_916877147937656245_n.jpg

370199804_3821203658168551_4462732696991467835_n.jpg

4 minutes ago, paulus said:

Get on with it then Lol i have more chance of knitting snot than getting a 4lb plus perch out of the Cut, But its all about the challenge Lol

I beat my personal previous best this year with a 30 Lb fish,next years target is the 40.

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

My next little personal goal is a Zander for my 13 yr old lad and myself...and Ive been after an 18 lb Barbel for 20 yrs😁

A few years ago i could say with confidence come here and its guaranteed on the canal, But since the Canal and river trust started there electrofishing every year its now hit and miss. The bit that makes me laugh is they are saying that they are having to cut services due to running out of money but still persist with trying to eradicate something that's been in their waters for over 40 years that i know too, Madness. 

17 minutes ago, paulus said:

Jesus Christ that looks like catching fish in a gold fish bowl, 

Nine thousand fish ran up that river in two days,the pools were black with fish,dozens of similar rivers close to that one have similar salmon runs when the fish are on.

DFC43282-9F81-4ADB-838F-5DE0B2A31720.jpeg

6B08AC36-0841-4B07-9B3E-B352585685A5.jpeg

• Like 2
On 04/11/2023 at 16:28, Daniel cain said:

My next little personal goal is a Zander for my 13 yr old lad and myself..

I live virtually on the banks of the Thames in a good Zander area,still haven’t caught one in the UK,too many pike.

• Like 1
On 06/11/2023 at 15:14, mackem said:

I live virtually on the banks of the Thames in a good Zander area,still haven’t caught one in the UK,too many pike.

On 06/11/2023 at 15:14, mackem said:

A few years ago before the CRT started there war on Zander, You could guarantee a fish or too per session. And i mean proper fish well into double figures, There are fish of those sizes still about but are few and far between. I know of a few pits with good sized Zander in but very rarely do they come out, Although a match fisherman had one over 11lb this summer whilst retrieving sweet corn. Back to the challenge, Today was the fifth afternoon session, So far a Roach of 1/2lb or so. A Bream over 3lb, A small Jack and today finally a 1lb Perch and a poxy signal crayfish, Onwards and upwards, Just need to catch his great, Grandad now Lol

385521530_617913950341163_4707232999931293640_n.jpg

Well Paulus, as you very well know, there are certainly 2 stretches of canal, very close to you, that produce very big zander. One a longish tunnel near Measham and the other a boatyard very close to you. I wonder if you remember Mr Frisby owning some land in Dadlington. Just thinking out loud . Jok.

6 minutes ago, jok said:

Well Paulus, as you very well know, there are certainly 2 stretches of canal, very close to you, that produce very big zander. One a longish tunnel near Measham and the other a boatyard very close to you. I wonder if you remember Mr Frisby owning some land in Dadlington. Just thinking out loud . Jok.

Charlie Liked his terriers i do believe Lol. Do you remember Ranter owned by one of the Varleys, Another couple of names that you might Remember, Fred Newman and Brian Booth

It’s the smallest of worlds.  I spent days on end with Mr Frisby and met quite a number of his friends. We spent hours in the sheds with his dogs and ferrets. Indeed he sorted me out with one or two. I used to fetch loads of pallets from the Yamaha dealership in Hinckley which we would take apart to make chicken pens and the like. I was also great pals with the Appleby Frisby which was how we were introduced.  Geoff is still living on the farm although it is rented out to the biggest farmers in the area, Corbett. Jok.

3 minutes ago, jok said:

It’s the smallest of worlds.  I spent days on end with Mr Frisby and met quite a number of his friends. We spent hours in the sheds with his dogs and ferrets. Indeed he sorted me out with one or two. I used to fetch loads of pallets from the Yamaha dealership in Hinckley which we would take apart to make chicken pens and the like. I was also great pals with the Appleby Frisby which was how we were introduced.  Geoff is still living on the farm although it is rented out to the biggest farmers in the area, Corbett. Jok.

The dog world is very small, Charlie was mates with Harry Cheshire who lived over the road from me, Another avid collector of wood i may add Lol.