Lurcher racing

Hi everyone , I’m wanting to get into abit of lurcher racing, I don’t know anything about it as of yet or what’s suitable etc. how old the dog needs to be or when to start. 

my dog is breeding is 

sire - Dave sleights rag whippet quick silver 

dam - is a working hancock bred bearded collie greyhound first cross. 

would he be a suitable dog for lurcher racing ? 

IMG_0470.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mackerill said:

Hi everyone , I’m wanting to get into abit of lurcher racing, I don’t know anything about it as of yet or what’s suitable etc. how old the dog needs to be or when to start. 

my dog is breeding is 

IMG_0470.jpeg

Be better employed smoshing gear ont lamp

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Be better employed smoshing gear ont lamp

Oh don’t worry will be. He’s keen as already and retrieves good, just want something to do on weekends in the day. 

once he’s lamping then I want to do ferretting and abit of lurcher racing with him on a weekend , 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Mackerill said:

Oh don’t worry will be. He’s keen as already and retrieves good, just want something to do on weekends in the day. 

once he’s lamping then I want to do ferretting and abit of lurcher racing with him on a weekend , 

Good man

• Like 1

To start a dog racing they need to be fully developed same as for working 

tbh Id get the dog working first before even thinking about bothering with racing something I noticed with dogs that had been used for racing first they held back from striking and had a really strange running style I had a bitch that I started racing before I got her working as it was how circumstances played out I think it was a big mistake tbh I think it ruined a dog that could of been a really good hunting dog if I’d of stuck to how I normally done things 

I personally think there’s more negatives that can come from taking up an coming working running dogs to racing than positives 

• Like 2

Get it out ferretting on as much different ground as you can...start it off holding rabbits in the net...than leave the odd net off the holes and let the dog give chase... and work it out for its self...,Then try and find it a few easy runs on the lamp😉

Will be more beneficial than chasing a rag with a muzzle on,keep that shit for the dog shows if its your thing👍DSC_2193.JPG.c22e322cc3f53a483c56092f6930cdff.JPG

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Get it out ferretting on as much different ground as you can...start it off holding rabbits in the net...than leave the odd net off the holes and let the dog give chase... and work it out for its self...,Then try and find it a few easy runs on the lamp😉

Will be more beneficial than chasing a rag with a muzzle on,keep that shit for the dog shows if its your thing👍DSC_2193.JPG.c22e322cc3f53a483c56092f6930cdff.JPG

Couldn't agree more.

On 10/10/2023 at 14:30, Mackerill said:

my dog is breeding is 

IMG_0470.jpeg

Looks a nice dog.  Really like these dark brindle dogs.  👍

• Thanks 1
On 12/10/2023 at 21:02, shaaark said:

Looks a nice dog.  Really like these dark brindle dogs.  👍

Aye he’s a belter mate my favourite thing looks wise is his full black snout, it’s my first lurcher. He was the last one in the litter and I’m glad. Retrieved since 13 week old. Brings it back every time. He’s obedient and Intelligent. He’s definitely made it easy for me with it being my first one. 

And thanks lads, I will be out a lot with him with some older boys who are showing me how to go on. On the lamp and then ferretting when he knows the lamp, im going to give the racing a miss. Was just an idea to keep me busy but from hearing about what could happen with running differently etc I won’t bother. 👍

• Like 1