Thermal scopes!!!!

Ok, who can give me an idiots guide please???    I've just about got my head around image intensifier scopes, and now Thermal scopes are turning up all over the place!!!

Who has one, good points, bad points, what you would do if you bought again????

I would not want to make a mistake with the price tag of most, is it too early to invest, will quality improve/price reduce over the next year or two?

All views appreciated.

Cheers

PS SCOPES SPECIFICALLY please, not spotters!!   Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2023 at 11:12, Deker said:

Ok, who can give me an idiots guide please???    I've just about got my head around image intensifier scopes, and now Thermal scopes are turning up all over the place!!!

Who has one, good points, bad points, what you would do if you bought again????

I would not want to make a mistake with the price tag of most, is it too early to invest, will quality improve/price reduce over the next year or two?

All views appreciated.

Cheers

PS SCOPES SPECIFICALLY please, not spotters!!   Thanks

Hello Deker

All boils down to budget and how much you want to spend. As a minimum for rabbits and foxes I'd start at £2k and upwards for a thermal scope.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Deker,

I recently bought myself the Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 and I could not be happier with it.
This is my first thermal optic so that anything I can with a huge grain of salt, there are probably a bunch of other more experienced members here that tried different high and low end thermals.

The marker value for this thermal is £2400 - £2600 new. I managed to snag mine for £1600 used but in pristine condition. So if you take your time to look around for one you might be able to get one in your price range.

Before my Pulsar I bought a Flir Breach. A head mountable thermal that I still use as my spotter before aiming down sights. But even to my unexperienced eyes it was blatant obvious how far the thermal came along in the past couple of years. Pulsars have great detection range and awesome details on small game. 
I cant give details on the range as I don't own a range finder.

But have a look into Thermion 2, might be something that will fit the price and quality your looking for.
https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-riflescopes/thermion-2/