Light at the end of the tunnel

Good morning 

I'm a new member to this group and if I may I'll give a brief introduction of a mistake I made a few years back that was a game changer.

I'm 56 years old and back in 2018 my daughter took a beating from a boyfriend, she spent some time in hospital and still has the scars today.

You proberbly know what's coming next! 

After the courts had slapped his wrists and fined him etc I bumped into him out of the blue as I was coming out of my village pub, he smirked at me because I called him a coward, I punched him and off he went, I'm not an aggressive person but just red.

1 month later a police officer called as he'd made a complaint as his jaw had to be plated! This was Aug 2018 

July 2019 I was convicted of section 20 something Malicious wounding and sentenced to 12 months suspended plus to pay the victim £1000 , my legal charges came to £6500 the Judge looked over his glasses and said your a shooting man with a perfect previous record say goodbye to your gun licence and consider yourself lucky your not going to prison the mitigating circumstances your barrister put forward has kept you from custodial.

I knew my gun licence would go seconds after I did it, yes stupid man!

I cleared my gun cabinet out 8 months before going to court because I admitted it was wrong what I'd done.

2022 february I get a letter from firearms licencing informing me my licence was due renewal in May.

I called them and explained I no longer hold any firearms because of the following ..... the phone went quiet ! Can I call you back?

Following day Licensing called me and basically said I could apply to renew but off the record give it 2 years. 

I miss my shooting and have filled the void by fly fishing, played with air rifles refused lots of duck flights and game days as it was never in the press, I was a shooting instructor for 17 years and just stopped immediately.

I'm not one for Internet information didn't really look at forums and when my friends talk of shooting I join in but do have a lump in my throat as I had a gun licence from 12 years old and competed in trap shooting around the world, can't believe I'm writing this ! Sam my gundog passed last year his predecessor would of been 2 years old but I didn't take that step I miss that so much stepping on the saltings chasing wigeon... 

Think it's time for me to be more positive and start to gather information if I could ever get shooting again and enjoy my mornings with my rimfire, I live in a very remote place and have had my shooting rights since I was a child.

What I done was very wrong and I'm ashamed I lashed out, when that happened 2018 I'd lost my young brother suddenly and that weighed heavy on me still does but I'm happy we were great shooting and fishing buddies, I have a very loving family and amazing daughter who met a guy and there now married and have a child.

I hope one day to shoot again I've agreed to beat on my local shoot this year I'd of never of done that a few years ago.

Paul 

• Like 2

Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for introducing yourself. Your story is interesting, and it's clear that shooting and the outdoors mean a lot to you. It's great that you've found other interests like fly fishing.

Feel free to share more about your experiences and discuss all things related to shooting and the outdoors.

Best regards,

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2023 at 11:09, Perazzi1967 said:

Good morning 

I'm a new member to this group and if I may I'll give a brief introduction of a mistake I made a few years back that was a game changer.

I'm 56 years old and back in 2018 my daughter took a beating from a boyfriend, she spent some time in hospital and still has the scars today.

You proberbly know what's coming next! 

After the courts had slapped his wrists and fined him etc I bumped into him out of the blue as I was coming out of my village pub, he smirked at me because I called him a coward, I punched him and off he went, I'm not an aggressive person but just red.

1 month later a police officer called as he'd made a complaint as his jaw had to be plated! This was Aug 2018 

July 2019 I was convicted of section 20 something Malicious wounding and sentenced to 12 months suspended plus to pay the victim £1000 , my legal charges came to £6500 the Judge looked over his glasses and said your a shooting man with a perfect previous record say goodbye to your gun licence and consider yourself lucky your not going to prison the mitigating circumstances your barrister put forward has kept you from custodial.

I knew my gun licence would go seconds after I did it, yes stupid man!

I cleared my gun cabinet out 8 months before going to court because I admitted it was wrong what I'd done.

2022 february I get a letter from firearms licencing informing me my licence was due renewal in May.

I called them and explained I no longer hold any firearms because of the following ..... the phone went quiet ! Can I call you back?

Following day Licensing called me and basically said I could apply to renew but off the record give it 2 years. 

I miss my shooting and have filled the void by fly fishing, played with air rifles refused lots of duck flights and game days as it was never in the press, I was a shooting instructor for 17 years and just stopped immediately.

I'm not one for Internet information didn't really look at forums and when my friends talk of shooting I join in but do have a lump in my throat as I had a gun licence from 12 years old and competed in trap shooting around the world, can't believe I'm writing this ! Sam my gundog passed last year his predecessor would of been 2 years old but I didn't take that step I miss that so much stepping on the saltings chasing wigeon... 

Think it's time for me to be more positive and start to gather information if I could ever get shooting again and enjoy my mornings with my rimfire, I live in a very remote place and have had my shooting rights since I was a child.

What I done was very wrong and I'm ashamed I lashed out, when that happened 2018 I'd lost my young brother suddenly and that weighed heavy on me still does but I'm happy we were great shooting and fishing buddies, I have a very loving family and amazing daughter who met a guy and there now married and have a child.

I hope one day to shoot again I've agreed to beat on my local shoot this year I'd of never of done that a few years ago.

Paul 

Was what you did wrong?

Sometimes a man's got to do what a man has to do. 

Not sure why you felt you needed to give up shooting and fieldsports completely? Surely you could go out with friends who are sending you these invites? 

Remember fieldsports are more than just shooting at stuff with guns!

Beating

Get a ferret

Get a terrier

Support your local hunt

Air rifle 

Mate if you feel the need to give things up completely then perhaps you need to reassess what sport actually is and what it means to you 👍

• 5 months later...

It's a terribly saddening story to hear. I hope you do get your certificates back with a bit of patience.

I'm not familiar with FAC rules so please excuse me, this is not to add insult to injury. Would you still be able to join a gun club and shoot on hire?

Alternatively, you might plan and look forward to a trip abroad! You could shoot pigeons in South America or big game in Africa. All the best.