Well few more birds have hit the sticks last few days guys. Am really happy with the amount of young I've bred and quilty of the birds. I'm a big believer in quilty over quantity. Would rather have 1 stunning youngen than say 5 box standard types. These birds in these images are of what I mean by quilty birds and mutations from pied breeding. 

20230804_124245.jpg

20230804_124345.jpg

20230802_080542.jpg

20230802_080535.jpg

20230730_101848.jpg

20230730_101717.jpg

20230730_101711.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Well few more birds have hit the sticks last few days guys. Am really happy with the amount of young I've bred and quilty of the birds. I'm a big believer in quilty over quantity. Would rather have 1 stunning youngen than say 5 box standard types. These birds in these images are of what I mean by quilty birds and mutations from pied breeding. 

20230804_124245.jpg

20230804_124345.jpg

20230802_080542.jpg

20230802_080535.jpg

20230730_101848.jpg

20230730_101717.jpg

20230730_101711.jpg

Class mate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2023 at 06:13, Bangersanmash said:

20230804_124245.jpg

20230804_124345.jpg

20230802_080542.jpg

20230802_080535.jpg

20230730_101848.jpg

20230730_101717.jpg

20230730_101711.jpg

Find this section very interesting, clearly some knowledgeable fellas in this one! I've always fancied some birds like this or an aviary. Won't be anytime soon as I'm focusing on the meat birds at the minute. Can I ask a question, might be stupid, but will ask anyway.....what's on the leg rings? Is it just to identify brood?

Also do you breed for selling purposes or for show or just a hobby/interest between friends? 

Ry

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Find this section very interesting, clearly some knowledgeable fellas in this one! I've always fancied some birds like this or an aviary. Won't be anytime soon as I'm focusing on the meat birds at the minute. Can I ask a question, might be stupid, but will ask anyway.....what's on the leg rings? Is it just to identify brood?

Also do you breed for selling purposes or for show or just a hobby/interest between friends? 

Ry

No question is stupid if you don't know the answer mate...But with "native" birds a closed ring (like a wedding ring is complete all the way round and not a split ring) is needed by law as one of the means to prove it's a captive bred bird rather than a wild caught one(rings have a date,are colour dated as well bird council initials and ring number), in British law having a unrung bird makes you guilty and it's down to you to prove your innocents. A breeding diary helps with this as with some birds they grow so quick you miss ringing them (the first 3 days you ring a bird as a bench mark time as such,but you go on size of chick really) or some like Bullfinches are known to do a lot is pull the ring off the chick as it's a unwanted object in the nest, having a unrung bird is not the end of the world but your not allowed to sell them but you can give them away as gifts. Hybrids (finch x finch) and mules (finch x canary) both do not need ringing as they won't happen in the wild and so are not classed as native,so breeders of these will do this for a age/breeding reference thing..It seems a lot to deal with but it's not and you just send off for the rings and if you have a steady enough gentle hand then ringing isn't tat hard it's just fecking scary the first few times as your so worried your'll break the chicks toes,but once you suss it it's easy enough, just do get someone to show you how first..

I kept them myself because i like them and the breeding is going to happen anyway so you just set yourself up for what you want or sort of expect to happen, mind you nothing is set in stone so some years you loose and some you will win..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, fireman said:

No question is stupid if you don't know the answer mate...But with "native" birds a closed ring (like a wedding ring is complete all the way round and not a split ring) is needed by law as one of the means to prove it's a captive bred bird rather than a wild caught one(rings have a date,are colour dated as well bird council initials and ring number), in British law having a unrung bird makes you guilty and it's down to you to prove your innocents. A breeding diary helps with this as with some birds they grow so quick you miss ringing them (the first 3 days you ring a bird as a bench mark time as such,but you go on size of chick really) or some like Bullfinches are known to do a lot is pull the ring off the chick as it's a unwanted object in the nest, having a unrung bird is not the end of the world but your not allowed to sell them but you can give them away as gifts. Hybrids (finch x finch) and mules (finch x canary) both do not need ringing as they won't happen in the wild and so are not classed as native,so breeders of these will do this for a age/breeding reference thing..It seems a lot to deal with but it's not and you just send off for the rings and if you have a steady enough gentle hand then ringing isn't tat hard it's just fecking scary the first few times as your so worried your'll break the chicks toes,but once you suss it it's easy enough, just do get someone to show you how first..

I kept them myself because i like them and the breeding is going to happen anyway so you just set yourself up for what you want or sort of expect to happen, mind you nothing is set in stone so some years you loose and some you will win..

Couldn't of worded it better myself mate. You can even have your initials on the rings too like I've got. So that other breeders can't say they've bred that bird lol. Because you get that too in this game. Them saying that's one of my birds. When really it's not. So now a put my initials on the rings. Not only that if anyone breaks into your birdroom. You can put word about makes it harder for the b*****ds to pass the birds on. Like few years ago Paul meek had his birds stolen. Luckily for him he knew every ring number and put word about. So some scum bag will have a shed full of his birds. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

Couldn't of worded it better myself mate. You can even have your initials on the rings too like I've got. So that other breeders can't say they've bred that bird lol. Because you get that too in this game. Them saying that's one of my birds. When really it's not. So now a put my initials on the rings. Not only that if anyone breaks into your birdroom. You can put word about makes it harder for the b*****ds to pass the birds on. Like few years ago Paul meek had his birds stolen. Luckily for him he knew every ring number and put word about. So some scum bag will have a shed full of his birds. 

That was a rotten thing to happen to a fella who helped so many folk inclueding myself with birds and knowledge and i hope those that did it get the karma they so disserve...

• Like 3
15 hours ago, fireman said:

That was a rotten thing to happen to a fella who helped so many folk inclueding myself with birds and knowledge and i hope those that did it get the karma they so disserve...

True he is a true gentleman Paul would help anyone when stuck. 

• Like 1