Bleeding disorder

I am hoping somebody here will have experience of a bleeding problem in sighthounds and be able to help. My 12 year old greyxsalukixwhippet had a nosebleed from one nostril a few weeks ago. Ever since it keeps happening unless he is on three tablets a day of tranexamic acid. Even on this he will scatter drops of blood occasionally. He is otherwise well and bright. His head has been x-rayed and his nose scoped. The only thing found was some inflamed tissue inside the nostril. The vets are not keen on the non-stop use of tranexamic acid in the long term but are out of ideas. We are in between Salisbury and Southampton. If anybody knows a solution to this problem or a fairly local vet who could help could you please let me know?

Edited by planete

Hi planete,

Not sure if this is any help at all, and could be completely different, but I had a strange 'bleeding' incident with a previous kelpie, Amber. 

This is going back about fifteen years so I may have some details wrong. She was on, what turned out to be, the final day of her season when blood began dripping from her nose and mouth. She was taken straight to the vet but it was one of those vets who like treating the symptoms rather than getting to the root of the problem. As a result she had various treatments (including being spayed). I must admit that the bleeding did stop and never happened again but I changed vets immediately after as I'd not been happy with their attitude. In particular, I did some research while she was in and found some information about a condition which, if she had it, could be diagnosed with a blood test. I'm afraid I have no idea what the condition was called now. They chose not to do this as they were making more money by trying out various other things and the added expense of spaying which I felt I was kind of bullied into.

As I said, it could be something completely different, e.g. the assumption was that it was female/season related which obviously wouldn't be the case with your male and your dog is only loosing blood from the nose.

I feel for you as it's a frightening thing to happen as it's so unusual.

One other thought: previous to the bleeding she'd possibly been bitten by an adder. I don't know this for sure but she became very weak and floppy on a walk and almost passed out. She was revived with a jab for (if memory serves me well) a possible allergy. The following day, while walking the other dog, I saw an adder at a spot where Amber had been sniffing around. I've always assumed that there's a high probability that the two were connected. Maybe the later bleeding was connected too.

Thanks, Neil. I am taking him back to the vet next week hoping they can think up some effective trestment. He has already had blood tests for possible problems with his clotting mechanism which have turned up nothing. He definitely was not bitten by an adder but may have contracted a virus as he snorted and hacked for a couple of days (but was otherwise normal). It is a mystery at the moment but I would really like to sort it out as it is obviously not great for him and it is also a very messy business as he lives in the house.

Edited by planete
2 hours ago, planete said:

Thanks, Neil. I am taking him back to the vet next week hoping they can think up some effective trestment. He has already had blood tests for possible problems with his clotting mechanism which have turned up nothing. He definitely was not bitten by an adder but may have contracted a virus as he snorted and hacked for a couple of days (but was otherwise normal). It is a mystery at the moment but I would really like to sort it out as it is obviously not great for him and it is also a very messy business as he lives in the house.

A grass seed lodged in the snozzer hole could be the problem me owd son

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Black neck said:

A grass seed lodged in the snozzer hole could be the problem me owd son

My first thoughts too mate .Can they locate where it’s actually coming from in the nose mate or are they thinking it’s a secondary bleed from something else .If so I don’t want to worry you but not good for the dog .Get a decent vet to talk you through all the reasons for the condition .

43 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

My first thoughts too mate .Can they locate where it’s actually coming from in the nose mate or are they thinking it’s a secondary bleed from something else .If so I don’t want to worry you but not good for the dog .Get a decent vet to talk you through all the reasons for the condition .

I don't bleddy know its not my dog ,now pass us them lemon drizzles for the all gone