Dog Kennels.

We went on holiday having booked our dog into kennels. It must be said that these kennels are owned and run by family friends. They absolutely adore the dog as they do with all dogs. On our return and having collected it was fairly obvious that something drastic was wrong with him. Dreadful, prsistant cough and heavy mucus from his nose and a build up of scum around his eyes. He refused to drink and eat which prompted the obvious. The dreaded vet. Now I admire these guys and am thankful for what they do. However, 20 minutes, an injection and a course of 10 tablets held unspeakable costs. Yes, my dog responded and is now back to his boisterous self for which I am eternally grateful. He was in great health prior to being kennelled. The vet advised me to contact the kennels and advise them about this which of course I did. (A personal friend). If you were in my shoes what would be your course of action? Jok

a good friend of mine,only just recently put his dog into kennels, whilst in their care the dog suffered  a serious injury, the kennels point blank refused to pay or help out on  the vet fee costs, apparently most kennels get you to sign a disclaimer form, which safe guards them,and you have no chance of making a claim against them, may be this isnt the same for you jok, but if it was me i wouldnt be happy with your outcome, at the end of the day you expect your dog to be returned to you in the same health as he went in, wouldnt use them again  after treatment like they gave you, atb.

• Like 2

Thank you for responding.it’s a tough call for sure. I tried to say in a friendly way that the cause had been introduced by another animal but thinking about it, could it have been my dog being in contact with someone less outside of the kennels. I actually don’t think so but don’t quite know how these virus are spread. In the main he doesn’t have any real contact with other dogs as we are no longer hunting and shooting so can only assume communal contact through drinking bowls and coercion with other inmates. I’m in a Catch22 situation with my mate. Jok.

Know what he said? I have never, in 20 years, seen distemper. Now if that didn’t rock me then nothing would. He went on about cerebral work and even end of life consideration. So I am in a mess with my mate. The only saving grace is that my dog is jumping about like a puppy. Jok.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Unless the vet has given you very clear diagnosis of what it actually is then what can you do? 

Your dog was put into an environment where a large number of other dogs are also housed, coming and going, and as such there is a hugely increased chance of coming across some sort of disease, infection or whatever.

Similar to people having little kids, who go off to school everyday spreading their coughts, infections and whatever else, then bring it back home to the whole family. 

It's just one of those things in life. 

If it was something your friend had done that was negligent then fair enough but it doesn't sound that way unless I have misread something. 

On 18/05/2023 at 16:31, grompz said:

a good friend of mine,only just recently put his dog into kennels, whilst in their care the dog suffered  a serious injury, the kennels point blank refused to pay or help out on  the vet fee costs, apparently most kennels get you to sign a disclaimer form, which safe guards them,and you have no chance of making a claim against them, may be this isnt the same for you jok, but if it was me i wouldnt be happy with your outcome, at the end of the day you expect your dog to be returned to you in the same health as he went in, wouldnt use them again  after treatment like they gave you, atb.

Now that is much worse to the above, depending on what sort of injury and how exactly it came about. There is potential there that they may have been negligent, andare bang out of order. Again you would need a lot more details but I'd be more concerned about a dog coming back with an obvious injury than one coming back with a sickness.