Hip scores etc?

I'm thinking of moving over to the dark side and getting a lab pup for the family in the house and a bit of shooting with me, mainly night time ? does the parents hip scores mean the pups will be relatively clear of problems or is it pot luck?  When you look at pups online there is cheap and dear ones which seem decent abd cheap and dear which seem shite. Its that or I'm going for a cocker but I'm looking forward to having a nice placid dog and stress free walks .

Definitely go for a pup from both parents with low hip , elbow scores mate as the problem is hereditary, also make sure parents have current clear eye tests and been health tested , better off in the long run 

3647C153-C0F2-4844-946E-1630499CF7C5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

You should be able to go back several generations to check hips and elbows.

I recently purchased a GSD (Alsation?) pup from a breeder of working line dogs. They provided 6 generations of proof.

20230526_132130.jpg.c8b5da9be8874a578b12cb2f52d358dd.jpg

Also, don't spay or neuter until they are at least 14 months old. Not at all is better still.

Good luck with your pup!

On 14/05/2023 at 01:43, gnipper said:

I'm thinking of moving over to the dark side and getting a lab pup for the family in the house and a bit of shooting with me, mainly night time ? does the parents hip scores mean the pups will be relatively clear of problems or is it pot luck?  When you look at pups online there is cheap and dear ones which seem decent abd cheap and dear which seem shite. Its that or I'm going for a cocker but I'm looking forward to having a nice placid dog and stress free walks .

The normal is 5 gen pedigrees there's some decent breeding round you gnipper I'm picking a pup up next week from your neck of the woods I would go health checked certainly 

• Like 1