First wasps' nest of the season

On 22/07/2023 at 08:03, DIDO.1 said:

I'm getting enough in. I'm busy with other things so couldn't handle anymore but I've got the feeling if I'd gone all out on the wasps I could of done a big number this year. Doing a lot of 2-3-4's on the same properties. Probably done 100 in July so far.

Noticed a few beginning to sweet feed the other day 

Round here l expect a few worthwhile calls in the first week of June but it was a worryingly slow start this year. The nests seemed couple of weeks later than usual . They've  made up for the slow start though. As you noted DIDO multiples are common. In fact single nests are a minority . One lady had eight nests in a tiny bungalow all at the same time. I've dragged the Duststik out for getting through the low nests quicker.

The last week has been 12 to 14 hour days on them .

I don't  know if l'm alone but  new tub of Ficam has given real problems with blockages . Done the usual stuff to fluff it up but it's a bit annoying . The Lab Lance is frustrating piece of junk at the best of times ,without blockages.

20230703_085044.jpg.1b7ace0d47a3ce5722619cccb8001f70.jpg20230624_121117.jpg.43c9c5af7469208bbe94d9c6dae19879.jpg

This one had put the customer in A&E .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit underwhelming really.l did ask how big it was on the phone and they described it as being "At least tennis ball sized"  . Felt a bit guilty when l saw it  ,but it was a call-out ?‍♂️

I had to get a bit personal with a nest in a wall behind thick ivy . I was fully armoured-up but it didn't stop the jaspers taking their anger out on my equipment. Three of them found themselves

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, comanche said:

Round here l expect a few worthwhile calls in the first week of June but it was a worryingly slow start this year. The nests seemed couple of weeks later than usual . They've  made up for the slow start though. As you noted DIDO multiples are common. In fact single nests are a minority . One lady had eight nests in a tiny bungalow all at the same time. I've dragged the Duststik out for getting through the low nests quicker.

The last week has been 12 to 14 hour days on them .

I don't  know if l'm alone but  new tub of Ficam has given real problems with blockages . Done the usual stuff to fluff it up but it's a bit annoying . The Lab Lance is frustrating piece of junk at the best of times ,without blockages.

20230703_085044.jpg.1b7ace0d47a3ce5722619cccb8001f70.jpg20230624_121117.jpg.43c9c5af7469208bbe94d9c6dae19879.jpg

This one had put the customer in A&E .

I've not had blockages but haven't needed more than one lance so far. 

• 5 weeks later...

I had to get a bit personal with a nest in a wall behind thick ivy . I was fully armoured-up but it didn't stop the jaspers taking their anger out on my equipment.

Three of them found themselves 20230821_155557.jpg.f39695c0cc4f5e652434c04266e5669a.jpgin trouble when they couldn't  release their stings from the rubber  bulb of my hand puffer 😀

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Out of curiosity what is a ball park figure for dealing with a wasp nest, I,ve done 3 so far in the old peeps home I work at, leave the ones outside in the garden but ones in the house have to be dealt with, I’m also killing quite a few hornets but have not found a nest of them yet they seem to be everywhere this year wasps that is not hornets 👍

• 3 weeks later...

How we all getting on. I'm turning wasp nests down this September, just to busy with other work. I did 21 nests on Tuesday which beats my previous 19. I could of done 4 more that day but had to go out. Then when I did go out there was a wasp nest near the front door of the building I was attending for a meeting.... should of done that as well 🤣

We never see hornets in Lancashire but a friend of mine has done 3! All within 2 miles of each other.

On another note I've been using the Vulcan permetherin powder, no issues as of yet 👍

20 hours ago, myersbg said:

I tried the vulcan when it came out, lots of call backs with it, in 15 yrs of using Ficam i think i might have had 4 call backs.

I've told the call backs to give it a few days. They seem to have died off in that time. 

What other options are there?

I have some Pydust but haven't tried it yet.

Likewise ,while  not using Ficam for ground nests anymore, l've not fully converted to Vulcan for nests in building cavities.  By the time l've powered-up the gear, suited-up and climbed a ladder l'm more concerned with using a product l trust. 

I can't  help feeling that anything based on   pyrethrin/ permetherin is just a rehash of  old  products ,rather than progress. 

I might be missing something but Vulcan instructions say that a second application might be needed for cavity nests.   

Does that mean factoring in a return visit?

Or does the fact that Vulcan flows best when the applicator is underfilled mean a second blast is needed to get the doseage right?

I've been working to the latter plan, but has any one with more experience of it any thoughts ?

Fingers crossed.  l've had no Vulcan call backs but l've only used it on easy nests.

Edited by comanche