First day out with my little Jill

Well I got my MKIII this morning and after figuring it out I couldn't resist taking my Jill out for her first days work.

She wasn't exactly happy to have the collar put on, its her first time and I think she thought I was trying to strangle her, but once on she calmed down. Having read on this forum about how the collars can be shed by our little friends I thought it best to give her an hour in the hutch to see if she could get it off. Having satisfied myself that 1. she could breathe without restriction, and 2. couldn't get it off, it was time for her first day out.

I have permission to work a local farmers hedges and so with spade, nets and much anticipation I set off across the fields to a 6 holer that I had earmarked for her first try. The hedge is full of hawthorn, nettles and brambles making the netting a bit tricky but after gaining several stings and some impressive scratches all was set.....

As soon as I showed her the hole she was off, a couple of sniffs around the entrance and then she disappeared in to the depths. Seconds later I heard a squeak and then thumping like a distant rave...now I was as alert as a lurcher, scanning the holes trying to guess where the coney would bolt. I didn't have to wait for long and out bounded a good sized rabbit straight in to my waiting purse net :)

My little Jill, star that she is, followed the coney out and gave me a glance as if to say "you got him?" I only had time to say "clever girl" and she was off again. She seemed to just know what to do and worked her way around the bury whilst I tracked her with the Deben. I must have missed a bolt hole somewhere as within minutes there was more squeaking and thumping and another bolted unseen but heard as it tore off through the hedge. She worked her way around but no more conies today. Nonetheless I am well chuffed. She clearly has the right attitude and seemed to be very happy to be out in the wilds doing what clearly is first nature :) So a big hand for my little girl :clapper:

I can't wait for the weekend, we're off to a big bury with a couple of pals....watch this space :)

G

theres nothing better than a good ferret ive just got another and shes blinding didnt like my new mk3 it nearly come off on its tightst fitting

Seems to be a problem with mk3s from what i've seen people say, fit a leather collar problem solved :D

lovely worker then good look then straight back down :thumbs: did she come out fine or did she look and run back down as you reached too grab her?

I know this is going to sound unbelievable for an unworked ferret I've only owned for 1 week but.....she actually came to my hand when I called her!! Have to say I couldnt be happier, she's a little angel. That said, she does come from a long line of working ferrets....maybe its in the breeding :)

lovely worker then good look then straight back down :thumbs: did she come out fine or did she look and run back down as you reached too grab her?

I know this is going to sound unbelievable for an unworked ferret I've only owned for 1 week but.....she actually came to my hand when I called her!! Have to say I couldnt be happier, she's a little angel. That said, she does come from a long line of working ferrets....maybe its in the breeding :)

Thats the way i like to hear people talk about ferrets.WELL DONE MATE and the best of luck to you :drink: :drink: