Updated rat snare

Saw some drawing for over y'all's way dealing with sanding rats . One of them ( which I can find exactly what I remember seeing) basically used a stick , some sort of sling shot elastic band and a inverted figured 4 trigger.

FB_IMG_1671000967431.jpg.ece2b377a73bc085a4e30a5db7964808.jpg

FB_IMG_1671000970223.jpg.a4b35019308086526574e77a676f5407.jpg

Thought it was pretty nifty ...but being made of woods and nails and the like seemed like it could be a problem. So decided to see what I could make. Little bit of welding later I can up with the last five pictures.FB_IMG_1671000976195.jpg.91248cd2ca4815e4e5817367e04d481f.jpgFB_IMG_1671000976852.jpg.23b4329b861ce30dc33d6f515eb98481.jpgFB_IMG_1671000977899.jpg.ec364cefb0ea018ba4b84b4a6a7e3381.jpgFB_IMG_1671000980549.jpg.914471d49d35e0ebf77920fbaf519453.jpg  Didn't have any brass or steel snare wire  but figured y'all would get the picture. All steel all welded. Pretty sensitive.Added a legit of light wire to the end of the trigger to act as a support wire so the snare can be adjust and kept away from the main contraption a little easier.  Really all that would be need it a small snare to thread though the eye of the tiger and secured with a quick it knot.

Anyway figured I'd show y'all and see what y'all thought , many some improvements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, micky said:

I think you have reinvented the Wheel , a bit better perhaps and it will last a lot longer, but as GS always says  KEEP IT SIMPLE.

SAM_0390_zpsc529ce74.jpg

Nice bag ? but I've barely reinvented anything truthfully, if anything I just took the old stone wheel and made it out of rubber ?.  Really the entire deal if the same as the old one just kinda streamlined.

And I mimist say the only reason I made this is because, well eveyone I ended up talking to it reading about from over there when I came to snaring rats basically said some sort of powders system was the best and many like the original this was based of of sooooo ?

And simplicity. That's and interesting thing you know. I talk to alot of trappers shooters reloaders ect that know way more then me and are in the top of the pecking board . Glenn Waters of one FB is a wonderful man to chat with and is a prime example. Anyway most of these guys will preach simplicity but when you sit down and talk to them things ant as simple as they look.  Their always trying this and that looking for better ways . The top of the top very rarely stagnant... But I'm just babbling at this point ?

Long story short I just like building stuff ??

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gazjon5 said:

Looks good Wolfie, but think you should angle the main pole a bit when setting, or once sprung you might find the rat climbing the pole.

True. Honestly I think I made it too short to begin with now that I'm looking at it with a snare attached ??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

True. Honestly I think I made it too short to begin with now that I'm looking at it with a snare attached ??

Wolfdog, maybe this is why lighter material was used for this setup. Longer pole made from steel, you'll have weight being an issue. Now think about having to carry ten of those around. Might be why using a heavy duty version never caught on?

Wolfdog, I've just edited to add. Your design is based on two different rat snaring systems.

The first of the original systems results in the snared rat being pulled tight by the spring pulling the snare through a small round hole in the upright, resulting in the rat choking quickly

The second set up uses a long flexible pole, which suspends the rat in the air, preventing it from chewing out.

Your setup, is a mixture of the two, and won't work sufficiently. 

Keep the posts coming. This is what it's all about?

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 3

I like that,  bit over engineered wouldn't want to carry thirty around ? as mentioned the rats will climb the arm if they get a chance. I had one that the springyness had gone out of the pole and the rat chewed through the 4 strand brass snare.

These fencing poles I use are ok, but soon take on memory, also a big heavy rat really makes them sag.

IMG_20190315_071925.jpg

• Like 1