New build starting *update*

Well finally spent a little money on myself and decided to build a target/varmint upper for my AR. Mail lady just dropped of my new barrel ! 20" semi tapered .223 Wylde 1:8 twist  and boy I think this is gonna do ALOT better then my old 16" pencil barrel 

IMG_20221004_142616913.jpg.39fb4d147b2fc04daaa68f386b809d3d.jpg

Heard mix reviews about this company's barrels but they say this one should hold   1 MOA or less with factory ammo and I got 10% off since it was my first buy.

Screenshot_20221004-143817.png.10990b54ac2b38b035e6b780cc0b1481.png

$130 something total so can't complain too much . Next I just need a hand guard gas tube and some kinda muzzle device... Idk might just put on a thread protector  instead of a break.. we will see

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Looks heavy, I prefer lighter myself.

Glad for you though.

Got to ask, in the blurb. It says "100% inspection"....what would a 90% inspection detail?

I love manufacturers blurb me.

90% would probably mean that they check 9 out of every 10 barrels produced. ?

• Like 1
On 04/10/2022 at 20:34, Wolfdog91 said:

Well finally spent a little money on myself and decided to build a target/varmint upper for my AR. Mail lady just dropped of my new barrel ! 20" semi tapered .223 Wylde 1:8 twist  and boy I think this is gonna do ALOT better then my old 16" pencil barrel 

Well.  I find it odd the different interpretation of a gun there is between Murica and this side of the water.  IF I  had the want and the option of building a new ....target/varmint rifle then I wouldn't be using a 1:8 twist and I wouldn't be  making it on an AR platform. I know that my statement makes me out like a down player. BUT surely either a target weapon or a varminter relies on high accuracy which neither the 1:8 or an automatic action are likely to produce. To produce target/sniper it generally requires a stiff heavy barrel of 1:12 or 1:14 twist and a decent bolt action solidly mounted in a rigid stock backed up with consistent ammunition guided by good quality sights that don't move AND then someone behind it who can shoot.  It will be interesting to see what this project morphs into.

4 hours ago, Meece said:

Well.  I find it odd the different interpretation of a gun there is between Murica and this side of the water.  IF I  had the want and the option of building a new ....target/varmint rifle then I wouldn't be using a 1:8 twist and I wouldn't be  making it on an AR platform. I know that my statement makes me out like a down player. BUT surely either a target weapon or a varminter relies on high accuracy which neither the 1:8 or an automatic action are likely to produce. To produce target/sniper it generally requires a stiff heavy barrel of 1:12 or 1:14 twist and a decent bolt action solidly mounted in a rigid stock backed up with consistent ammunition guided by good quality sights that don't move AND then someone behind it who can shoot.  It will be interesting to see what this project morphs into.

Going to be running a wide variety of ammo with my hand loads from 40-75 GR and in a .223 / 5.56 1:12 or 1:14 simply won't stabilize those heavier weights. If I was shooting lighter pills then yes those twist rates would work in this caliber ( well .223 Wylde is technically a chambering) but for what I'm after then no ,not  optimal at all.

And once the only thing really moving on an ar is the bolt carrier group which ,yes the recoil impulse is different and takes getting used to to ,it's actually not super hard to get sub MOA out of a well built one. Mainly because every thing else on it is rock solid. Even if there is slop between the upper and lower as long as the upper is solid you good. I mean my friend shas a bull barreled DPMS 22" rig with a 4-20 on top and with my hand loads it routinely prints groups from .8-1" @100yd with my hand loads . Seen many other people with there build that print 1/2-1/4 moa all day . But they are doing some more advanced things along with much better barrels and the like ( along with just plain being better shooters then me).

But with all that being said need a semi auto platform regardless for my needs. Not to mention I don't need a gunsmith to build an AR.  I guess if I was after a legit FClass or bench rest gun then yeah I'd have something built in a panda ,bator surgeon action, jewel 4oz trigger, nightforce scope so on and so forth but that just not my intention with this build

This guy is a prime example of what good hand load out of a good upper can do. Just jum to like the half way mark

I didn't  intend to demine your ideas of what you what to build.  I am just a morning old git .but there you go.  What I was on about really  was why try to reinvent the wheel. I shoot .word. .222. .223. 243 and 270.  All of these are what would be considered standard calls. So why is it felt nessessary for wildcatters to convert everything into something else which isn't nessessary.   I use a Win mod 70 in 223 which I have slightly worked by glass bedding the action and barrel.  The bolt has been smoothed so that it engages and disengaged quietly and smoothly.  The magazine follower has been slightly angled so that the rounds and the bolt glide over without the clanking resinstance that was there.  It is a 1:12 twist.  I have developed a 55grn load for it that uses the Sierra 55grn gambling bthp 1390 bullet. This is propelled by H4895.  I won't write the loading online but it is a hot load that has been developed for this rifle.  This round does 3400 fps which is only 200fps behind a 22 250.  The effect is very accurate and every target has fallen to the impact.  I can confidently take targets out to 300 paces but I  usually confine its use to between 80 to 120. Why would I  need to go to a wildcat or a submachine gun.  One shot one kill.  In one of the digest books I  read about how people mess about with rifles trying to get moa.  They zero on the range and then can't hit the deer.  The article showed the body size of various deer and basically any old smoke pipe would have accuracy good enough for a deer sized target.  It seemed as if the reasons for missing were inability to gauge range and then over compensating and loosing confidence. Still that's just me.  I look forward with anticipation for the gun that you are going to produce.   Ps.  I think that many in the US think that the people over here don't have guns but this isn't the case. Keep the faith.

12 hours ago, Meece said:

I didn't  intend to demine your ideas of what you what to build.  I am just a morning old git .but there you go.  What I was on about really  was why try to reinvent the wheel. I shoot .word. .222. .223. 243 and 270.  All of these are what would be considered standard calls. So why is it felt nessessary for wildcatters to convert everything into something else which isn't nessessary.   I use a Win mod 70 in 223 which I have slightly worked by glass bedding the action and barrel.  The bolt has been smoothed so that it engages and disengaged quietly and smoothly.  The magazine follower has been slightly angled so that the rounds and the bolt glide over without the clanking resinstance that was there.  It is a 1:12 twist.  I have developed a 55grn load for it that uses the Sierra 55grn gambling bthp 1390 bullet. This is propelled by H4895.  I won't write the loading online but it is a hot load that has been developed for this rifle.  This round does 3400 fps which is only 200fps behind a 22 250.  The effect is very accurate and every target has fallen to the impact.  I can confidently take targets out to 300 paces but I  usually confine its use to between 80 to 120. Why would I  need to go to a wildcat or a submachine gun.  One shot one kill.  In one of the digest books I  read about how people mess about with rifles trying to get moa.  They zero on the range and then can't hit the deer.  The article showed the body size of various deer and basically any old smoke pipe would have accuracy good enough for a deer sized target.  It seemed as if the reasons for missing were inability to gauge range and then over compensating and loosing confidence. Still that's just me.  I look forward with anticipation for the gun that you are going to produce.   Ps.  I think that many in the US think that the people over here don't have guns but this isn't the case. Keep the faith.

O I didn't really think you where honestly.

Well when it come to wild catters you have two different types from all the guys ive talked to watched and read about.

1. You have people who are incredibly perticular. They want a certain bullet, doing a certain thing out of a certain gun type , for a perticular reason. And they will always push the boundaries to get the slightest edge they possibly can. And what's offered in standard offering though they can and will work for most , especially the average guy, just plain arnt good enough for them. Bench rest , PRS, ELR and FClass guys are prime examples of this. They they will make a wild cat because they want this case capacity to use with this range of powders so they can push a certain kind of bullet to a certain range and have it act exactly the way they want . Alot of serious predator guys are like this as well. Remember talking to a guy who came down from Montana to our trapping convention. Guy does a lot of paid predator work. Wolves and yotes killing in live stock mainly if I remember correctly. Got to talking about guns he used and he had some custom wild cat made up, 6.5x47 or something like that I think, can't quite remember been a few years. But was a wild cat had a scope custom made to his dope out to like 750yd.  Asked him why he did all that instead of a .22-250 or 243 like eveyone else, well after a out 15min of very very detailed explanation ( everything from fur damage to wind bucking in the mountains to need something that could drop a grizzly if need be) made it very clear that good enough and standard just plain wouldn't cut it for him.

Also you have people who live in certain states with various cartridge restrictions, or certain hunting styles /builds lend them selves better to a wild cat then and established caliber

2. And then you have guys who honestly just like making stuff for fun or they try and make something more versatile or a more user friendly version of something already existing. Prime example would be the 17-.223. Alot of guys would like a .17 rem for various reasons. Problem is store bought ammo is expensive, your going to be dropping $900-$2000 on a .17 rem rifle if you can actually find one. Brass is super hard to find right now and when you do it's like $80 for 50, if you want to form brass you got to use .221 rem ( I think I know you can't use .223) which is just as expensive. Then they tend to be barrel burners so then you need to have a good gun smith so on and so on.

Well guys started wild catting the .17-223 where all you do is neck down some .223 brass to .17 cal and that really it. You can pick up .223 brass at almost any range for free even if your buying super nice lapua .223 it's still cheaper then .17rem. I get basically the same results, as a .17rem. Even if I order a custom prefit barrel I'm only out like $350-$400. And if it's an AR build ( what most people are using this wild cat in) don't have to change my BCG or magazine because it's a .223 parent case just slap in the new barrel .

Me personally I do want to do some wildcats ( dont have any yet .223 Welder isn't actually a wild cat or separate cartridge just a chambering that give you better performance with both .223 and 5.56 load and ammo out the same barrel safety) but honestly just for the fun factor more then anything looking at building a .277 wolverine after this actually. Seem like it would be a fun caliber to mess around with . 

But with all that being said , most people just plain don't need a wild cat or really anything past you average cartridges . They just dont. Now when I say need I'm not one of these guys who thinks you should only have what you need , hell if your a responsible person and your obeying the law you can have a 155mm howitzer for all I care, more power to ya. But for people who are just practical minded just want something plain simple that works then yeah just get a .223 .243 or .308 and call it a day.  No need for some 7.8x88 Western super wildcat #10 or something. ? No shame in that what so ever .

But that just my little late night rambling and thoughts on the matter .

Take care?

• Like 1
  • Wolfdog91 changed the title to New build starting *update*

So little update, it's coming along slowly but surely. Got the rifle length gas system and new hand gaurd in the other day and was finally able to put it together last night. Spent probably 30min trying to get the barrel nut timed properly so I could feed the gas tube though but other then that pretty easy process . Hand gaurd looks a little much but it actually about perfect due to how long the hand gaurd is. Mabye a 22" barrel would make it look a little less off but egh ?

IMG_20221029_011850929.jpg.7f22905c8360573022bef8dfdab949cd.jpgIMG_20221029_012418649.jpg.94e0a9fc9ef19a51cb08e6136ec0bc23.jpg

Now I'm just stuck trying to figure out what I want to do for a muzzle device. Part of me just wants to run a thread protector but the other part of me wants to do a muzzle break..... That and I'm looking at doing a form 1 supresspor build but idk, that's and extra $200 for a tax stamp I don't have laying around right now.

Next things is the stock and the scope .

3 minutes ago, ianm said:

I am liking the build so far Wolfie. 

Oh! and the best bit is Biden and his clowns won't like it one bit.? 

Was actually considering buying one of these "meme lowers" for this build just because of him  ?

Next-Level-Armament-ar14-1000.jpg.c6a09a3e46cb97f8706cab4bd98a57ae.jpghm345q8ligu71.jpg.abe974f0c59b8a6e3132fee5b26a354d.jpgmaga15.jpg.000a7110a6ccf5674ed9f95b0c13e2c1.jpg

• Like 1

In Sweden some Wildcats are made for bird in the top of the trees hunting, as 6,5caper(6,5-222r), 22k hornet( the  bigger class3 cartridge legal for hunting on public land in the mountains. Some WC are made for Moose as 6,5-06 , .338-06, 458 american (2.5’’ magnum case). 223rem         has not been so popular in Sweden as it has to slow twist for heavy bullets now it may change with 1/7 -1/8 barrels.

• Like 1