Rabbit numbers are looking up

1 hour ago, gnipper said:

I know but if you all had a try fir a couple of trips and put them somewhere rough that can't be ferreted they might have a chance.

I've seen lads here going on somewhere because they saw 1 rabbit and knew where it went in and when I was trying to explain that if you kill the last 1 or 2 they have no chance of ever recovering it fell on deaf ears.

The Rifle lads with night vision will soon sort them out, I’ll just keep putting in the miles, the only rabbits I bring back go straight to the game dealer 

7 minutes ago, neil b said:

The Rifle lads with night vision will soon sort them out, I’ll just keep putting in the miles, the only rabbits I bring back go straight to the game dealer 

farmers have been cutting for last 2 weeks round me cnuty up the road was telling me he's had 8 foxes and bag full of rabbits there aren't that many to start with so it looks like it's going to be barren again 

Whist disease (both mixi and RVHD2) have had big impact on rabbit numbers in my area the permissions that I know (bar the odd bit of poaching) I am the sole controller of rabbits still have a population on not huge but enough that they could recover. I only take the odd one or two to show face and keep the permission. Areas where rifle lads are out as well as me ferreting or other ferreters that purse net and long net and take every rabbit are very very low on numbers. Not rocket science I know but my point is over hunting is as big a problem if not bigger than disease, a lot of people just blame RVHD2 or mixi but definitely not just that causing the decline. Most areas you just can’t hammer them the way you used to as disease stops them recovering but they will recover if hunted sensibly not hit all year round. Unless your being paid to remove every rabbit then just take what the area can sustain and if that’s nothing then leave the few survivors be. 

• Like 3