Folks ,this is sweet chestnut? If yes,can they be gathered immediately or do you have to wait till the casing splits open??I've come across a lot of them where I walk ,and hope to pluck a few soon 

IMG_20220903_164446.jpg

• Like 1

Pick your tree, a lot of trees don't produce decent size Chestnuts. Or there may only be one nut is a husk that is any good. I know of a few trees near me that produce good nuts, but not every year.

Most of the Chestnuts for sale in the UK come from the Continent, they're a lot bigger.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

End of October i have found them to be ready though how the seasons seem to be changing could be later.

Friend of mine was in the woods 2 weeks ago and filmed beech mast dropping so I thought some stuff was earlier blackberries as well ? Last couple of years I thought the natural harvest period was getting shorter ?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Friend of mine was in the woods 2 weeks ago and filmed beech mast dropping so I thought some stuff was earlier blackberries as well ? Last couple of years I thought the natural harvest period was getting shorter ?  

I remember last year finding horse chestnut that were ready in the second week in September I also think the natural harvest period is getting shorter tbh.

• Like 1

One more question guys,if I picked a good few of the chestnut,can they be stored for future use ordo they have to be consumed immediately?if they can be frozen/stored,what method of doing so is best?

• 1 month later...

I went and checked on the chestnut tree yesterday and their popping open for the last few days ,but are they worth picking,their tiny flipping things,maybe I'm not clued in but I'd need a sack full to make it worthwhile....

IMG_20221008_163820.jpg

IMG_20221008_163613.jpg

Seen quite a few on the floor this morning which i think is a bit early stood still in  the wood it sounded as though it was spitting of rain with the amount of acorns and beech mast dropping totally different form last year when their was non of the mentioned two to be found.