Remington 700 SPS recoil pad

HI everyone, I could do with your help please.

I understand this is a common problem so the solution should be easy, but so far it isn't.

My 700 SPS Recoil pad is going soft and sticky, whilst also being crisp in part, basically useless.

Any ideas where I can get a new one please?

Remington used to supply replacements on an industrial scale to end users but that all stopped last time they went bust (2020).

Cheers

29 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I would try one of the generic pads you can find on eBay ( guntuff ) or similar. And get someone with a belt sander to make it fit . 

Its a Synthetic stock, so not as easy to do that as on a wooden stock! :thumbs:

Just now, Deker said:

Its a Synthetic stock, so not as easy to do that as on a wooden stock! :thumbs:

I’ve had a kickeeze pad fitted to a shotgun and plastic butt pads fitted and you can definitely get them to fit using a belt sander  . I’m no gunsmith and haven’t used them myself, but I’ve a mate who is and that’s how he gets synthetic pads into shape . If it was me I wouldn’t be too worried about it looking perfect , as long as it functioned. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve had a kickeeze pad fitted to a shotgun and plastic butt pads fitted and you can definitely get them to fit using a belt sander  . I’m no gunsmith and haven’t used them myself, but I’ve a mate who is and that’s how he gets synthetic pads into shape . If it was me I wouldn’t be too worried about it looking perfect , as long as it functioned. 

Its the stock and pad combination, that's the problem, its not about sanding a pad to fit specifically, although that would be a bit tricky.  The pad has a protruding lip all round so it locates snugly into the stock.  Most universal fitting pads have a flat back so very difficult to size/sand/fit snugly. :thumbs:

30 minutes ago, Deker said:

Its the stock and pad combination, that's the problem, its not about sanding a pad to fit specifically, although that would be a bit tricky.  The pad has a protruding lip all round so it locates snugly into the stock.  Most universal fitting pads have a flat back so very difficult to size/sand/fit snugly. :thumbs:

Oh I see . I’d be interested to see how you resolve it . Good luck locating pad . If all else fails you won’t have any problem finding a replacement stock .?

12 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Have to be paid serious money to own a remmy again .

To be honest, mine has done me well, accurate and reliable, but now the silly recoil pad issue.

I am looking to replace it with a Tikka to join my 2 others, simply because I want to, no particular issues.    I bought it new about 11 years ago and whoever ends up with it will get a good one.....even Remington make occasional good ones! :yes::good:

25 minutes ago, Deker said:

To be honest, mine has done me well, accurate and reliable, but now the silly recoil pad issue.

I am looking to replace it with a Tikka to join my 2 others, simply because I want to, no particular issues.    I bought it new about 11 years ago and whoever ends up with it will get a good one.....even Remington make occasional good ones! :yes::good:

It’s the bolt opening on safe that annoyed me Chris .Sold the thing after I’d ejected 2 or 3 cases in the long grass as the bolt rubbed on my back .Mates loves his but I’m a tikka man too.

• Like 2