Fox Tail -- Brush

Help me out please, took a great dog Fox tonight and a pal who restores and runs a few old Vespas wants a fox tail for his whip aeriel.

Strange though it may seem I've never done this before, there was a thread on here not so long ago about how to cut/peel/pepare the tail...can someone point me in the right direction...I've just had a look but can't find it..probably me being half asleep!

Many thanks

Deker

Help me out please, took a great dog Fox tonight and a pal who restores and runs a few old Vespas wants a fox tail for his whip aeriel.

Strange though it may seem I've never done this before, there was a thread on here not so long ago about how to cut/peel/pepare the tail...can someone point me in the right direction...I've just had a look but can't find it..probably me being half asleep!

Many thanks

Deker

cut around the bone then tie a piece of cord around the cut,then pull the cord and the brush comes away from the bone job done

Thanks for the help, I've just taken it off using the stick method (first thing that came to hand, if I do another I'll try the rope trick)...after a bit of initial resistance it has come off nicely.

I've filled it with salt as best as I can as I seem to recall hearing somewhere...it's hanging in my shed..how long should I leave it now?

Also noticed it has a few lumps of crud well embedded in the brush, how yould you suggest cleaning these out and do I wait until the whole thing is cured? I was thinking a soak and rince in warm soapy water but will this make the whole thing go hard and stiff?

Sorry for all the questions but having disposed of many foxes over the years this is the first I have ever removed the tail on.

Many thanks.

Deker

nut crackers are best or pliers or two sticks will do the job no need to treat the tail if the bones been taken out if you think you need to treat it use meths by leaveing it in a jar full of the stuff for a few days ..best way to take the tail off is put the fox face down and stand on its back legs and pull ..

nut crackers are best or pliers or two sticks will do the job no need to treat the tail if the bones been taken out if you think you need to treat it use meths by leaveing it in a jar full of the stuff for a few days ..best way to take the tail off is put the fox face down and stand on its back legs and pull ..

Thanks rob...I got the tail off "Fairly" easily and left ALL the bone on the fox.....not sure how to carry on now, especially not sure how to remove the 2 or 3 lumps of matted crud that charlie managed to get in his tail.

I've got this far, don't want to mess things up now!

Thanks

Deker

i did one,i soaked it in parafin for a wk,after that wk i soaked it in soapy water over night to get rid of smell.then picked the crud out and dried. THEN filled it with salt and hung up in my workshop. still as supple and soft as the day it came off the fox!

have a chinese take away tonight and make sure you get chop sticks

use the chopstick to pack the salt right down to the tip and then keep adding salt and packing till it cant take no more if you leave any gaps the fur will start to fall out in places then you can get a empty 9mm shotgun catrige fasten a ring through it and put that in the base off the tail that will give your mate something to fasten it to on his moped and stop the salt fall out as it blowing about :thumbs: