8 minutes ago, mackem said:

It gets down to -40 here, ice feet thick,UK doesn't have such extremes, I can't imagine why turtles can't thrive.

My thoughts exactly! 2 + 2 = 7! European Pond Turtles manage it, in Germany. Sneks do it.

Are we supposed to suspect the government could be misleading us, regarding  illegal aliens? That's a bit far fetched, surely:hmm:

• Haha 2

Just now, Ken's Deputy said:

Are we supposed to suspect the government could be misleading us, regarding  illegal aliens? That's a bit far fetched, surely:hmm:

Wouldn't you much prefer snapping turtles crossing the channel illegally than the world's flotsam and jetsam ?

• Like 1

Used to be said lots of species couldn't breed here. Off the top of my head I can think of: little egrets, Marsh frogs,  collared doves,  ring neck parakeets, Alpine newts, Spoon bills,Syrian hamsters, wallabies....Must be lots of isolated colonies of all sorts just waiting to spread big time.. Then there's the big cats?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

My thoughts exactly! 2 + 2 = 7! European Pond Turtles manage it, in Germany. Sneks do it.

If I remember right the study I saw said successful clutches are really rare mostly down to the sort of places terrapins have been dumped, the duck pond in parks etc just don't have anywhere suitable for them to lay where the eggs will get enough sun and be safe from predators/scavengers so even if you end up with a breeding pair being dumped in the same pond it's highly unlikely they'll be successful. Couple that with the fact no one is really actively monitoring their populations that closely and you can see why the odd rare occurence of wild hatchlings went under the radar until fairly recently.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Used to be said lots of species couldn't breed here. Off the top of my head I can think of Marsh frogs,  

Loads in certain parts of West London ?

• Like 1

Fella with a big estate near me released some macaws. He supplied barrels for them to breed in and they do..no problem. Only a matter of time until they spread their range. Its a wacky baccy experience when  they fly over you, all psychedelic colours and foreign squawking.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1

Honestly, mate, he's fukking Murder, already! :clapper: He's probably doubled his size ~ this in, what, two? Three weeks?

He's on purely pinks now. I allow him three or four a day. These are the size up from new born's.

Disgusting thing is; He now bites them so hard, he Bursts them! :icon_eek: So, it's like Chomp!!! Then, a little burst of guts billows out from the side of his mouth, before he gulps it all down.

Important to watch his water now. I put a litre or two of clean in, most days. Have the next sized filter on stand by too. No way I can ask this poor little thing to handle anything like what He's putting out!

Work it out; Relatively tiny water body. Something basically churning out vaporised mouse and ammonia, then cooking it in 75+ degrees? ? Gotta keep on top of That shit!

Fukkin Love him though! :boogy:

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Honestly, mate, he's fukking Murder, already! :clapper: He's probably doubled his size ~ this in, what, two? Three weeks?

He's on purely pinks now. I allow him three or four a day. These are the size up from new born's.

Disgusting thing is; He now bites them so hard, he Bursts them! :icon_eek: So, it's like Chomp!!! Then, a little burst of guts billows out from the side of his mouth, before he gulps it all down.

Important to watch his water now. I put a litre or two of clean in, most days. Have the next sized filter on stand by too. No way I can ask this poor little thing to handle anything like what He's putting out!

Work it out; Relatively tiny water body. Something basically churning out vaporised mouse and ammonia, then cooking it in 75+ degrees? ? Gotta keep on top of That shit!

Fukkin Love him though! :boogy:

I've seen clips of em. On. You tube, the buggers will tackle anything, enjoy mate   I enjoy your clips of bollox 

• Like 1