Looking to get a Goldfinch or Goldfinch mule as a pet

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction please. I'll be honest I know nothing of finches but I'm wanting to keep one just as a pet. I've always liked a Goldfinch but would I be better with a goldfinch mule? I'd like it to sing. What's the best diet for them and cage size etc? And how much am I looking at paying for one? As I said absolute novice any information is much appreciated. 

Thanks, Sam.

If I were you mate I'd go for a nice finch noted mule, easier to keep and less likely to fluff up and die on you.

A decent canary mixture and the odd bit of greens like broccoli, dandelions or peas and it'll be fine. I'd say anything from 40 quid upwards.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gnipper said:

If I were you mate I'd go for a nice finch noted mule, easier to keep and less likely to fluff up and die on you.

A decent canary mixture and the odd bit of greens like broccoli, dandelions or peas and it'll be fine. I'd say anything from 40 quid upwards.

Thanks for the reply mate. Appreciate it

Sam.

100% get yourself a mule.

get on pre loved and see what’s available locally, prices have gone up abit lately (£50-80)

Cage - anything like this will be fine 

Ferplast Cage for Canaries and Small Exotic Birds GIUSY Rectangular Bird Cage, Complete With Accessories and Revolving Feeders, Sturdy Painted Metal White and Red Plastic Bottom, 39 x 26 x h 37 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PB5YERE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QJ2VSZWZ7C422NXX4RMC

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MrsChamp606 said:

100% get yourself a mule.

get on pre loved and see what’s available locally, prices have gone up abit lately (£50-80)

Cage - anything like this will be fine 

Ferplast Cage for Canaries and Small Exotic Birds GIUSY Rectangular Bird Cage, Complete With Accessories and Revolving Feeders, Sturdy Painted Metal White and Red Plastic Bottom, 39 x 26 x h 37 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PB5YERE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QJ2VSZWZ7C422NXX4RMC

If it was me I'd wait now till next season. Get everything ready for the bird. Then come October he'll be able to pick a nice mule maybe abit cheaper with a few being abart. Alot that are being advertised now ive found are over year birds maybe a few years old or held back for one reason , that's to try an get abit more money on people that are green. He may pick one up that's decent but that's a maybe. How's your birds doing any fertile eggs yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2022 at 07:01, Bangersanmash said:

If it was me I'd wait now till next season. Get everything ready for the bird. Then come October he'll be able to pick a nice mule maybe abit cheaper with a few being abart. Alot that are being advertised now ive found are over year birds maybe a few years old or held back for one reason , that's to try an get abit more money on people that are green. He may pick one up that's decent but that's a maybe. How's your birds doing any fertile eggs yet. 

How much are goldfinches going for now ,just a normal goldi .

27 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

How much are goldfinches going for now ,just a normal goldi .

For a proper legit captive bred and rung goldie I'd say your looking at 50 - 60 quid upwards. Peas and chevs are obviously dearer but I've seen travelling lads wanting hundreds for a bird because of its song, could be a mp3 player wrapped up in a pillowcase though ?

• Haha 3