First night on the new perm

Hello all, 

long time no see, I hope you’re all keeping well given the last few years.

I for one have used this year to get back on the horse and have secured a new permission, shooting rabbits for a local rugby club. After a walk of the boundary and a chat with the groundskeeper last week I decided I’d swing over this evening to have a look and get acquainted  with the site.

Due to the training schedule at the club there is no chance of getting on before 10pm so I drove over, arriving at 10 as the the last stragglers left the bar. I used the time to have a wander with the pulsar and have a look about. I immediately found a handful of rabbits on the main pitch and after sitting in the hedge watching them for half hour the remaining staff left site locking me in. I fetched the rifle and went for a walk around the perimeter. I found a couple of bunnies behind the club mooching along the fence line. They seemed none the wiser to me being there so I lined up a shot a PIR sensor must have picked me up because a flood light promptly lit me up sending every rabbit in that area running for the fence line. After a short walk and a wait for the light to go off I managed to mount up on a barrel and had a shot at one at about 20 yards. Unfortunately I misjudged the distance and sent the shot sailing over the bloody things head. He to dove for cover and by this point I’m already starting to consider giving up shooting and taking up golf. 

after about an hour of wandering the perimeter I came back to the main pitch on the site and set up in the hedge row just behind the posts. I knew rabbits had been in the area as id spotted them here when I arrived. After about 20 minutes one decided to wander out into the open and I lined up my shot. Weirdly I had a moment of worry, having misjudged the distance of the last one and having not shot live quarry for a few years I was overthinking the shot. Worried id pull the shot (despite putting a good few hours in punching paper to get my eye back in over the weekend), worried my zero was  wrong (despite having already triple checked it) worried I was going to complete cock the shot and end up injuring the rabbit and then not be able to follow it up. I sat for a solid 5 minutes before I managed to snap myself out of it and put a perfect shot between its eye and ear. Absolutely text book shot, he flipped and flopped and i decided I should take that as a win and call it a night. 

it’s great to be back at it and I’m excited to get my groove back, can’t be doubting myself like that every time I need to place a shot. I think a few more hours on the range won’t do me any harm before I get out again and maybe some hours in the gym wouldn’t go amiss, forgot just how heavy my PCP is with the NV on it. 

Definitely think this site is more suited to FAC air than sub 12. It’s very open and flat so the extra reach wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing so I will likely be putting in for that in the near future. 

3FBB08CE-800D-4557-AE48-2DC043906585.jpeg.c40fb97cc34d59fbe1cbd7eeb84e9ba5.jpeg

Edited by Mark_mjs93
  • Like 1